Chapter 31 - the girlfriend status

"I'm so scared that the moments we shared
wont happen again,
i don't want this to end."

word count: 5.4k

trigger warning; allusions to self-harm

Max slipped onto the back porch of the McCall house without being noticed by Scott or Stiles, who were on top of their game, looking for files on their laptops to pass the time. The rest of the pack was yet to arrive.

Last night's escapades had left him exhausted. Truth be told, sometimes he went so long without any kind of a vision that he forgot he was a seer. Premonitions popped up whenever they felt like it but they stayed buried for the most part, occasionally popping up to remind him it hadn't gone anywhere.

That was, until the fucking dread doctors decided to turn him into a middle school biology project. These days, he was lucky to go twenty-four hours without a vision. It was sucking the will to live out of him (and he didn't have much of that to begin with, either).

Kneeling on the wooden deck, he rustled through the weaved wicker basket until he found a fleecy blanket. Shuffling his way to the porch swing, he lay with the blanket wrapped around him. It swayed from side to side as he watched the roof of the porch swim, trying to take a moment to breathe before it all kicked off.

The back door creaked open, something that he used to complain about every time they snuck in from the latest supernatural adventure. He didn't have to look to know that it was his sister. It took her long enough because she had been watching him like a hawk ever since he had relapsed. He didn't think he would even make it out of the door without her pouncing at him.

Shuffling his way to sit up, he wrapped his arms over his knees, making room for her to sit on the opposite end of the porch swing. Jade pushed herself into the corner, pulling half the blanket into her lap. "Who're we waiting on?" he rested his chin in his hand, green eyes piercing a hole through the neighbours' fence as their dog barked gratingly loud. Max normally would not have batted an eye but with the way his migraine was progressing, he didn't have the head for it.

"Mal is coming with Lily, so they should be here at a fashionably late time," she snorted, both of the twins knowing what their appearance-obsessed best friend was like when it came to time deadlines. "Lib and the Lawless' are here. So is Parrish. Waiting on Kira and Liam, too, but they should be here soon enough."

Humming in agreement, he watched a robin hop up onto the polished white bannister, hopping around on its two legs. It reminded him of his mom; she said she wanted to come back as a robin. His dad wanted to be a baboon, so a pinch of salt, he supposed.

"Was it bad?" Jade kept her emerald eyes trained on the red-breasted robin, toying with the teeny charms attached to her silver necklace. In the six months she had turned off her emotions, this was the first time it started to really tug on her will to let the feelings slip back in.

She didn't need to say anything else for Max to know what she was talking about. Deep down, they knew it would happen sooner or later—— she didn't have the patience to not know. Whether she would admit it or not, she didn't like the unknown, especially when the unknown was about her future.

"It wasn't bad."

"Liar," she smiled half-heartedly, nudging him in the knee with her foot. Maybe it was their twin telepathy or the fact that he couldn't lie to save his life that was his downfall. Either way, she knew it was bad. It was sweet that he tried to spare her worrying but she had expected it in a way. His visions were rarely anything good. "I know you can't tell me. I haven't forgotten," she tapped the side of her head mischievously.