Chapter 7 - blackmail

"An eye for an eye
a leg for a leg."

word count: 4.0k

Jade stopped what she was doing, emerald eyes narrowing as she listened to the running footsteps in school. She had just picked up the work that Lydia had missed from class today, ready to drop the books and sheets of paper over to the hospital before school the next morning. She took her time walking the corridors, not in any rush to get home. Lilith had been forced to cancel their night in, heading over to Tracy Stewart's house with Malia. Max had cancelled too, not giving her any more information other than saying that an emergency had popped up. So, she was relishing in how calm the building was. Was, being the keyword.

It hadn't been hard to get inside the school; one flick of her wrist had overridden the security system. It was odd that someone else was inside though, given that it was eleven o'clock in the evening.

Muttering an incantation that turned her invisible, she followed the sound of running footsteps. It led her to the top floor of the school, indistinct voices coming from inside the library, which was under construction. Teleporting inside to avoid opening the doors and making her presence known, her mouth fell slightly agape at what was happening.

Donovan— the guy she had spoken to after he had escaped his prison transport van— was standing in the middle of the room, circling the floor, an animal stalking its prey. She scrambled to open her pocket when a phone vibrated, feeling her heart rate slow down again when Donovan picked up a phone that had fallen onto the ground.

"You dropped your phone," he observed, spinning on his heels, hoping to find some movement that would help him find Stiles. "It's Max. Do you think I should text him back?" he paused, depositing the phone in his back pocket. "You don't know who I am, do you, Stiles?"

That perked Jade's interest, eyebrows in danger of disappearing as she listened. She didn't care about Donovan's paralysed father, or how the sheriff was sitting in the car, calling for backup while the incident happened. No, what she really wanted to know was what was going to occur next. It was clear that Donovan was trying to get a rise out of Stiles by calling Noah a bitch, using the words to get under his skin and make him squirm.

Donovan moved up the stairs to the upper floor of the library, Jade following close behind him, not caring if he heard her footsteps. It was clear by now that he was a supernatural— he had blood all over his face and the closer she walked behind him, the more she saw mini-mouths with sharp teeth pushing through his skin. Not to mention, he had a similar aura to Tracy, half one colour and half another. She could take him down without having to do so much as move. Although, she was always up for challenges if he wanted to put up a fight.

Donovan pulled his target backwards through a bookcase, metal hitting metal as Stiles drops the wrench, his only weapon. He was pushed into the scaffolding, hands shaking as he elbowed Donovan in the face. He was running out of options and places to go, up being the only way out of this mess, scrambling the scaffolding while he had the chance.

He wasn't even halfway up the structure, Donovon grabbing his legs and pulling him down, Stiles' hands working overtime as he struggled to hold up his body weight.

"Don't worry. I'm not gonna kill you. I'm just gonna eat your legs," Donovan snarled, baring his teeth as he prepared to bite into flesh. His eyes had turned a vividly intense yellow, but not like anything that resembled a werewolf— the entire eye changed colour.

Jade would have made a witty comment about how he was taking the phrase 'an eye for an eye' to a new level, but couldn't pull herself away from what was happening. Despite the voice inside of her screaming to help, to stop the creature from killing Stiles, she couldn't listen to it. From her point of view, this was simply karma. What goes around comes around, as they said.