Chapter 19 - give them hope

"so you say, it's not ok to be gay,
well i think you're just evil.
you're just some racist who can't tie my laces,
your point of view is medieval"

word count: 4.9k

"I lost, Mom."

Melissa McCall sighed gently, wiping her son's hand with an antiseptic wipe. Light shone from a lamp on his bedside table, giving her room to fix up wounds that had been inflicted from both Liam and Jade. It was as though time had stopped when Liberty came back through those doors, explaining what was going down in the library.

Her niece was gone by the time she arrived, leaving a badly bruised and bleeding Scott on the steps, heart beating— until it wasn't. Until he stopped breathing, five minutes of dread passing, chest compressions finally bringing him back.

Melissa didn't speak for a minute, mulling over the events of the evening, trying to think of something of value she could tell her son. She had almost lost him tonight. She had came so close to becoming a mother who no longer had a child. "Every leader suffers loss, mijo. Sometimes more than you think is bearable."

"This time I lost everyone," he bowed his head. All of it was so bad. Malia wanted nothing to do with him, unaware that he knew she was looking for the desert wolf. Lydia was still upset at being outed, desperate to do anything to prove she didn't like girls, that she was not going out with Jade, something that couldn't be further away from the truth. He loved Lydia like a sister and it hurt to know she didn't think she could be herself.

He had basically told Stiles to go away, something he regretted saying in the heat of the moment. His best friend wasn't going to want to talk, preferring to act as though everything was normal until he was forced to talk. Hayden had died, which was another event to add to the list of guilt. Liberty sent a message saying to let her know he was alright, that she would meet up with him tomorrow, needing to be with Nathan for the time being. Lily didn't really talk to him, yet he was sure they would consider helping if he asked.

Max hadn't spoken to him since getting back. Don't get him wrong, they talked when passing each other, but hadn't yet got a chance to sit down and see how he was coping. To be fair, there had been a lot going on recently with the chimeras. He should have set a bit of time aside, made sure Max knew he could talk to him if he wanted to.

Theo locked him in with mountain ash, Liam tried to kill him, Jade had killed him, regretted her decision and apparently tried to bring him back to life. Theo wasn't the same person from when they were kids, in fact, he couldn't find one similarity. Liam was upset, fuelled by the super moon. He knew Liam struggled keeping his anger under wraps, yet never in a million years did he think his own beta would try to kill him.

Would he sound absolutely, totally insane if he said that he didn't blame Jade? Yeah, he sounded insane. He didn't know how to explain i. She had killed him, it was over, she could have left him there to die.

She didn't. She came back. Sure, she may have left him to bleed out, but she could have done a lot more damage if she felt like it. Her name wasn't 'destroyer of the world' for no reason. She dragged it out longer as if in an effort to buy herself more time to be talked out of it, as though a part of her didn't want to do it despite the ongoing plan of revenge. Murder was an easy thing for her to do; she could have killed him in less than a millisecond if she really wanted to.

He wasn't entirely sure what type of a healing spell she had done because the last he remembered, when someone was too close to death, magic was unable to save them. Although Jade had left him there to bleed out, she healed the majority of the wound, that being the only reason why he was currently sat on his bed.