Chapter 28 - lilith: 1, rubiks cube: 0

"feel like a brand new person
(but you'll make the same old mistakes)
i don't care, i'm in love
(stop before it's too late)"

word count: 5.8k

trigger warning: very brief mention of psychotic depression

Max Pierce had made it through the first twenty-four hours when his withdrawal symptoms were at an all-time worst. His tremors had subsided to a dull shake and he was back to his usual chirpy self, watching re-runs of dance moms on the couch with his aunt.

Jade knew she shouldn't feel bad for leaving; she had left him in more than capable hands and, despite the issues between the family, Melissa had sworn to ring her straight away if anything happened. Working for a couple of hours in the diner with Emery (honestly, it involved more chitchatting than working) had kept her mind off of it.

So, after swinging by both the school and the corner store to pick up some essentials, she had parked her car outside of Eichen House. The only issue was that she hadn't worked up the nerve to get out yet. Taylor Swift's newest album, red, blasted through the radio as she picked up her phone.

THREE MISSED CALLS FROM: DER 💜🫡
TWO UNREAD MESSAGES FROM: DER💜🫡

max rang me, wanted to see how u were holding up. i'm here if u need me. currently still in nevada but if u guys need me i can come back. ps don't delete ru paul's drag race i havent watched it yet x

please message me back cass. i know this is a lot for u but neither of you have to go through it alone. i'm here. please let me know you're okay. whatever has happened since i've been gone isn't gonna make me mad or anything. i'm worried about u bubs. please message me back when u get this. love you, yeah? x

Sighing guiltily and biting down hard on her lip, she refused to cry. This wouldn't be the thing to push her over the edge, not after everything that had occurred the last week or so. Swiping out of the messages, she hit the silent button, not bothering to reply. It hit too close to home. She was still upset with Scott, Melissa and Stiles, Allison was dead, her girlfriend was stuck in Eichen, her brother was recovering from a relapse and she was slowly losing her mind.

Excluding Max, Derek was the only person who even came remotely close to understanding her. When their parents died, he took on the role of an older brother. While it should have driven them further apart, it did the opposite. He would never admit it but the twins were his soft spot. Regardless of whether they were related by blood or not, he saw them as his little siblings. As cheesy as it sounds, they melted the ice around his heart.

Regularly, he drove half an hour out of town in his pyjamas just for ice cream. Max would insist they listened to musicals on the drive and assign a part to each of them, intent that they feel the music and put some soul into it. He begrudgingly sang his heart out (although they swore he enjoyed it). While he cooked dinner, they'd watch reality shows. Derek complained that it was scripted but twenty minutes later, his loud opinions were sparking a debate.

Takeout was usually their go-to on days like that due to their chef abandoning ship. They argued over who ate the last cupcake in the box (spoiler alert; 9 times out of 10, it was Jade) and other evenings they would laugh until they couldn't breathe over those funny X-factor auditions.

Maybe that was why she couldn't answer him. While it sounded morbid, she appreciated people expecting the worst out of her. When she screwed up, it wasn't a shock to anyone.