Chapter 19: Clues

"We are here just outside of one of Los Angeles biggest high schools, Davenport High, where LAPD, FBI and countless other agencies have gathered answering to a bomb threat received earlier. Authorities report three suspects went into the premises, captured about seven hundred students and trapped them in one building. These are presumed to be the same criminals that had set two bombs already: one in a Mesquite and another in the city's largest convention center. Police reported that the perpetrators have cut off all cell service and electricity in the school, which is causing major hysteria among parents, as they look for ways to communicate with their sons and daughters. It is uncertain the suspects' identities yet, and LAPD seems to still be sorting out the details, but they have reported about seven hundred students still in the school. Unfortunately, they are being held hostage by what could be a small army of criminals with automatic weapons. Deputy Commander Randall Owens, acting leader and director of the newly formed special task force, has reported the situation is being handled with the outermost care. He stated and I quote, "Our goal is always to limit the casualties as much as possible, including those who are involved in the attacks. We will ensure the city of the most peaceful and benign outcome for this situation."

Parents have gathered here, outside of the school, to demand their children be saved. They allege the police are stalling, placing their children in danger. They organized themselves in rows, chanting, singing and furiously demanding the safety of their kids. Since no update could be provided, after the short press conference, the parents' fury grew exponentially. Desperate mothers are seen crying, while others yell in wrath. We interviewed some and the narrative was the same: discrimination against the poor and minority communities.

"If those kids was white, y'all think the cops wouldn't have had them saved by now? Hell yeah! But most of 'em kids are black or Latinos or other ethnicity! Cops don't give a damn!" responded a furious man in the audience.

We will keep you posted on the latest developments."

Commander Hicks was sweating like crazy! He looked out the window and saw how tension was rising, as the angry crowd outside became louder and louder. LAPD had established the perimeter, but that didn't stop the angry parents from beginning a riot. Hicks placed both hands on his hips as he watched the news report and sighed. Signs, chants and fists up! 

Hicks shook his head because he knew for a fact none of the leaders had a clear plan. He knew if they didn't act fast, things could escalate rather quickly. If the parents make a push, police will have to control violence from each front. It's like putting out a huge fire with a shot glass!

The problem was that no matter what they traced, they were still lost. Since they had no eyes inside, they couldn't establish a proper breach. With no intel on the position of the hostages, they had no idea how to approach. Not only this, the building had more than 10 main vents, which meant no way of knowing which was being used to spread the venom, if in fact they were using gas. To make matters worse, the electrical room was very close to where the shots were being fired, so they couldn't just walk up to it and dismantle the bombs, if they were near the electrical box to start with. It was just a mess!

Going over to deal with the press and seeing those angry people outside was even more frustrating! Once inside of the unit, he took a moment to get his handkerchief and wipe the sweat off his forehead.

"Hey! If you need, there is water in the next room." Gant said, nodding his head once.

"Thank you!" Hicks said dryly, following the man towards the next room.

"It never gets any easier, does it?" the man asked, approaching the small fridge.

"No, sir." Hicks said, exhaling, shaking his head.