10. Birthday Girl

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LILI!" Hachi is at my door with a present.

"Thank you, Hachi... but are you aware that it's 7:30 in the morning? I kind of wanted to sleep in since I have the day off." I rub my eyes.

"I know, I'm sorry! But I won't see you till tonight when I get off, so I wanted to give you your present first." She hands me a wrapped gift with a card taped to it. "I'll see you at my place after I get off around 5!"

I smile and hug her. "Thank you, Hachi. I'll see you tonight."

When she leaves, I walk back into my apartment and sit at the table, opening the card first.

Happy birthday, Lili!
I'm so grateful you moved to Tokyo :)
You always stick up for me and know better than anyone else when I need just need someone on my side. I can't believe you're just now becoming an adult today. With how mature you are, I'd have thought you were older than me!
I really hope you get to see Naoki today, you deserve that much and so much more. Don't kick everyone's butts too hard at Mahjong tonight!
Love, Nana / Hachiko (^ω^)

My eyes water as I finish the letter. I didn't think I mattered that much to her, it feels good knowing she's happy I'm here.

I set the card aside and start unwrapping the present, my eyes widen when I see what it is. It's a 24x30 painted rose garden, I look at the bottom right and see the signature of one of my favorite artists.

I cover my mouth and set it down, pulling my phone out immediately.

To: Hachi(˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Hachi! (T.T)
I could cry rn. Ty for the present, I'm putting it right above my bed!

From: Hachi(˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Lol! Don't cry, Lil! I'm happy you like it :D

To: Hachi(˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I ~love~ it (^^) ur the best

~~~

I've been reading all morning since I couldn't fall back asleep, and there's not much else to do this early anyway.

It's now 10, and my phone starts ringing. "Hellooo this is Nana."

"Happy birthday, Liliii!" I hear Nana yell into the phone.

I laugh. "Thank you, Nana."

"Come over! I have a present for you."

"Can't you come here?" I laugh.

"Nope, c'mon!"

"Okay, but let me get ready for the day first. I'll be over then."

"Okay, hurry though!" She says before hanging up.

I hurry to my room to get ready. I put some mascara and lip gloss on before going to my clothing rack to figure out what to wear. The weather's finally been warm now that it's June, so I put on a black skirt and a white tank top with ruffled straps. I put on my vivienne Westwood lighter necklace and some plain black sandals. I hurry to my bathroom and do my hair, I normally straighten it, but I use my curling wand with give my hair a loose beach wave kind of look with my long hair.

I look at myself in my body mirror and smile, I haven't really dressed up like this in a while.

I grab my purse and head over to see Nana. I knock on the door but she just yells from inside. "Come in!"

I open the door and immediately step back in surprise.

"Happy birthday!" Nana, Yasu, Nobu, and Shin greet me at the door.