- 𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎 -

- Katherine Witherfield -

Two Years later...

I wipe the tear rolling down my cheek. I feel Billy's comforting arms wrap around my shoulders, and I lean into his embrace. "He's growing up so fast," I sob.

"I know, baby, I know," Billy quietly says to me as he kisses my head. I try to wipe any tears that escape me, but they keep pouring out of my eyes. "Take a deep breath, people are looking," he whispers into my ear.

I scoff. "Don't tell me you're embarrassed!"

"A little."

I elbow him as I sniffle, and he chuckles at my attitude. "You're such an asshole."

"Love you too," he replies.

I watch as James gives his new preschool teacher, who is leaning down to meet his level, a high five before looking back at me. I give him a little wave and he returns it excitedly with a huge grin before adjusting his backpack on his shoulders and heading into his new classroom. He looks so adorable as he quickly runs in, thrilled to be in a new environment. He immediately starts introducing himself to other kids, and it warms my heart.

"I think we should head out," Billy suggests to me as he gives my shoulders a little squeeze.

"What if he needs me?" I ask with worry.

"He's going to be okay, I promise."

I sniffle. "Okay," I agree as Billy leads me out of the building, still in his arms. "Thank you," I thank Billy. He had taken the day off of work to comfort me today. He knew how worried I was about James's first day of school, and so he agreed to take the day off to make sure I was okay and not alone. He can be surprisingly sweet sometimes, even if Max claims he has no heart. It's in there somewhere, underneath all the rubble.

"Of course, beautiful."

After being kicked out of the house, Billy had stayed with Ma, James, and I until we graduated. I had taken up a waitressing job during my spare time, and we ended up saving up enough for a small, two-bedroom apartment to raise James in. Everything had worked out in the long run, and Billy and I have created a happy, healthy family. I come home to a loving boyfriend and a happy son that we are raising together. I couldn't have asked for anything better, and I couldn't want anything more.

I slide into the passenger seat of the car, buckling as Billy starts to drive off to head home. As he drives, though, I notice that it is not the way home. He turns down a gravel road and goes through the woods until we finally reach Lovers Lake. My wind swirls in confusion as Billy puts his Camaro in park, encouraging me to get out. We both leave our shoes in the car, and he leads me to the edge of the lake. Coldness hits our feet as we stand in the shallow water, and Billy takes his hands in mine.

"What are we doing here?" I ask as my heart begins to race.

"Going back to where I knew I was in love with you," he answers, his eyes locked with mine. "I didn't want to admit it afterwards, since I was pissed at you at the time and all, but this was when I knew I was in love with you for real. You mean so much to me. You showed me what it's like to love someone more than anything in the world. You gave me James, who means so much more to me than I could have ever imagined. So thank you, Katherine. Thank you for showing me what it's like to love."

My eyes start to water once again, and Billy pulls a hand away and puts it in the pocket of his jean jacket. He fiddles in there for a second before pulling out a small, black box. I gasp as he opens it, a ring is revealed. It is a simple ring with a small diamond placed in the center, glistening in the sunlight. Billy kneels down, getting onto one knee as he holds my left hand in the one that is not holding the ring. My free hand goes over my mouth, and tears start to flow again.

"Katherine, will you make me the happiest man in the world, and marry me?" He bites his lip, looking at me desperately. "I know we're young, but I know I want to spend the rest of my life with you and James. So please, tell me you'll marry me."

"Yes, yes, yes!" I exclaim as Billy removes the ring from it's place in the box. He pulls it out and slides it onto my left ring finger with a smile on his face.

"I know it's not much, but I will get you a nice ring one day."

"No, no, no," I say. "It's perfect."

Billy smiles a stupid, toothy grin at me as he rises from his knees and pulls me close to him. A girlish giggle escapes me as he pulls his lips to mine. We smile against each other's lips, an intense happiness filling us both.

The End