chapter 20: astray

"Ham and cheese with a mayonnaise base, yes?"

His curls bobbed with the nod he gave in response, too busy to dote on Olympia to pay any heed to Louis, who was making lunch today. Harry had grown tired of having stews and bread for lunch every day, seldom were there days where they would have anything else but that for lunch, and so, after their morning tea, he had requested Louis to make sandwiches today.

Louis agreed, of course.

With time, Louis had come around to pronouncing the condiment correctly — much to his displeasure, the alpha sounded just so squishable when he pronounced it the way he did previously. It had been extremely difficult for them to find a proper supplier of mayonnaise in the local market. But Louis had found some way — he still wasn't aware of what means Louis had used but he was content with the outcome. Though it wasn't as proper and delish as the one prepared by the cook in the palace, it did its work (he liked to believe anything worked better than stupid ole' mustard).

"You never told me why you live so far away from the townspeople?" His intonation was probably not what he was planning to go ahead with. It wasn't supposed to be a question, it should have been an inflexible statement that would have compelled Louis to speak the truth. "Oh. Uhm." Louis paused, and Harry heard the clanking of pans and pots from the dishpan before the alpha resumed, "I've grown up living on a farm. So, I suppose, I have always been averse to modernization?"

Placing Olympia on the ground, he turned to face Louis. "My mother also grew up living on a farm. She knew how to milk the cows!" He exclaimed, his eyes going animatedly wide. Louis offered him a brief smile, a genuine one that brought out a tint of red to his cheeks before the alpha turned away from him to tend to the bread loaf placed by the stove. "That sounds exciting. Did she pass on the knowledge, then?" It took him a minute to understand the connotation and when he did, he froze for a good second.

"No — uh, never — she was a working woman, didn't have much time to spare for me." He lied, avoiding even looking at Louis' (delicious-looking) back by fixating his gaze on Olympia, who was nibbling on one of the corners of her little blanket. At the back of his mind, he was aware of the fact that he should have probably stopped her before she ended up slobbering another one of the spare blankets, but things were a wee messy at the fore of his mind, too thick and hazy for him to even process anything, or his surroundings for that matter.

How could he come clean to Louis when whatever had ever come out of his mouth was all false? He could barely make out the next words that left Louis' mouth, but he nodded along, nonetheless. Noticing the lack of confusion from Louis' side, he presumed it worked.

The rest of the day seemed to have passed by in a twinkling of a star, and by the time night had begun, he was still contemplating his life choices.

"Are you feelin' alright?" Louis must have picked up on the sudden change of his behavior, then. Rushing to place his cup back in the sink, he responded with a hasty nod of his head. "Yes, of course! Why would I not?" Feigning innocence was not really his forte, he learned when Louis merely quirked an eyebrow at his response. "You haven't once mentioned how you are just so tired in the last seven hours."

"I have not?" Eyebrows furrowed, he realized his mistake a minute too late. "I cannot understand what you need if you don't communicate," Louis breathed out, shaking his head almost as if in admonishment as he brushed past him to reach the kitchen. He nodded with a discreet gulp, quietly getting under the heap of sheets that had accumulated on his side of the bed with time.

"Do you believe that the foundation of any relationship begins with faith?" He asked when Louis finally came to lay beside him, turned on his side to assess the alpha with his conjoined palms squished beneath his cheek. Louis gave him a look, one of those filled with apprehension as well as a tinge of excitement as to know what exactly he was up to. "I do think so, yes."