interlude: betwixt

TW: minutely-described scenes of rape, death, and fucked up people. please proceed with caution. 

-

Zayn had called him over to run some errands that day. Harry was still sleeping peacefully, claiming his side of the bed – not that he minded (of course, not).

He took a minute to stare at the omega, taking in the sight in front of him. It looked no less than an art nurtured by the hands of heavenly bodies – no less than the heavenly bodies themselves. Harry's cheek was squished against the pillow, and if he were to squint a little, he was certain there was a dribble of drool slipping past his parted lips.

The scanty sunlight that somehow did find its way into their home worked its wonders on Harry's skin, his hair – though resembling a bird's nest – glowed under the natural light. He wondered how he had gotten lucky enough to share a bed with someone this beautiful, someone so considerate, so compassionate, and just as humorous.

With a soft smile, he tucked the quilt up to Harry's neck, leaning forward to leave a light peck on the top of his head.

"Where are you going?" He was not as inconspicuous as he had thought, perhaps.

Harry blinked up at him, eyes glassy with sleep. One of his hands loosely held onto Louis' wrist, his lower lip naturally jutted out. "Zayn needs some help. I'll be back by midday. Wait for me, hm? I'll cook up something nice for lunch." Harry stared at him for a good second, the omega's eyes roaming around his face before he finally nodded albeit a bit reluctantly.

"I love you," Harry mumbled against his mouth when he leaned down to kiss him. The words didn't sound as divine as they usually would. He supposed it was probably because Harry had just woken up and not whatever his subconscious was brewing up.

"I know." He smiled back, leaning forward one last time to leave a peck on the tip of Harry's nose.

It was still early when he left the house, the sun barely visible above the canopy of lofty trees. The ground was muddy, the aftermath of yesterday's storm. He was cautious as he made his way through the trails leading to the triad's house. There were guards appointed to patrol the forest before sunrise and after sundown. Usually, they didn't bother him but there could be days where they'd prod at him to pick juvenile fights.

"Did we have to get up this early?" He rolled his eyes as the voice of one of the guards reached his ears. If he remembered correctly, his name was Stanley. He thought the patrolling rounds were pointless, useless even. Who would even dare trespass his claimed, though unsanctioned, territory?

Even that bastard of a king knew there was no way he would let anyone invade his territory, especially after what had happened the last time Richard had sent a group of idiots to kill him and his sister just a day after his parents' funeral.

Though it had been years since he had abandoned the whole concept of violence altogether, people still feared him as some deranged alpha who had killed the beloved Queen of Eonshire.

It had been an accident though, he hadn't meant to kill her.

As a thirteen-year-old fresh out of the combat academy meant for future warriors of the kingdom, Louis was not supposed to walk in on that monstrosity on that godawful night. He had, unfortunately for many people, walked right into the excrescence afterparty no one was ever supposed to know about.

He still remembered it all as if it had all taken place just yesterday. The pain still burned him raw from within to this day. He still wept at some odd nights, as if to compensate for all the times his mother couldn't.