Part 6

Winters looked at himself in the mirror, fixing his tie. Winters hated what he saw in the mirror, a creature that solely survived on the most depraved of pleasures. These were the cards that life had dealt him, and his only option was to play them as best as he could.

Leaving his room, Winters could hear Marley singing in his room. He paused at his friend's door, debating on whether he should thank him again or not. Shaking his head, Winters walked on; there was a case to solve. Winters believed he did not deserve a friend like Marley. Marley was a good man; he was not.

Going down to the parking lot, Winters got into his car. He closed his eyes; he would have to thank Marley when he finished this case. Marley had saved his life more times than he could count. Starting his car, Winters drove out and headed towards the High Gates.

Driving through the High Gates, he decided to go to the one woman he knew who could give him some information, Madam Lei. She was part of the local gossip, so if anyone knew where this demon was, it would be her. He just hoped he would not have to do anything for her; Winters was growing tired of doing favors.

Pulling up to Lei's mansion, Winters got out of his car. Walking up to the gate, Winters pressed the doorbell. The doorbell was like a church bell going off, loud and resonating throughout the area. Winters pulled a cigarette out, lighting it as he waited. One of the good things about being a demon was that smoking didn't hurt him.

The large doors opened, and standing behind them was a butler. "Yes, may I help you, Mister Winters?"

"Take me to see Madam Lei. I have something I need to ask her." Winters walked into the mansion, blowing his cigarette smoke away from the butler.

"Madam Lei is busy right now. But I can see you are not keen on waiting, so I'll see if she can squeeze you in." The butler shuffled up the steps, leaving Winters alone.

Winters looked around. The place was fancier than any place he had seen before. With erotic art on the walls, nude statues, and Greek decor, he felt like he was in an erotic museum. Flicking his cigarette ashes into a potted plant, Winters went over to help himself to the liquor. Sniffing each decanter, he finally found some whiskey. Filling himself a glass, all he had to do now was wait.

Heavy footsteps came down the steps. Madam Lei looked at Winters, a grin on her face. "Winters, what do I owe the honors? Did Marley not give you what you need? If so, I can help. And please, do enjoy the liquor."

Winters looked over his shoulder, raising his glass. "Thanks, I already helped myself. But I'm not here for pleasure, Lei; I'm here for business. There's a cat demon who lives up here, an actor. Do you know him? He worked for Montley."

Lei tapped a black claw against her cheek. "I do recall someone like that. Real upstart, if I remember right. Always through loud parties, much to my annoyance. Are you working for Montley?"

"I'm not; he's just tied to someone I got to find. A serial killer is running around, and I need to take her out. This thing is an abomination." Winters sipped on his whiskey, swirling it around.

"Let me guess, Ivor?" Lei smirked, sitting down in one of her tall, elegant chairs.

"Bingo, he made something I need to kill. And this time, I'm not sure if even I can handle this." Winters threw back his whiskey, drinking it down. "He seriously fucked up this time."

Lei looked concerned, her black-tipped fingers tapping against the arm of her chair. "Do you need help, Winters? I have connections. I can get you men, weapons, bullets, whatever you need. You've helped my family a lot."