Part 8

Driving back to Madam Lei's, Winters held the box. Parking outside of her house, he got out and let himself in. Staggering through the door, Winters placed the box on a table. "Okay, I got the heart. Now, put this damn thing in the fucking vault."

Lei walked down the steps and over to the box, her hand trailing over the wood. "Oh, this one is dangerous. I can feel the magic radiating from here. I'll be sure to give this my utmost attention."

Winters turned around, ready to go to his car, only stopping when a hand rested on his shoulder. "What is it? I'm not taking any new jobs right now."

"It's your arm, Winters. You're bleeding; you need to go see a doctor." Lei got a tiny bit of his blood on her finger, licking it off. "You've been drinking again, haven't you?"

"No, I would never drink. And I'm fine; I know someone who can stitch me up." Winters walked out the door, looking at the night sky. This day was over, this case was over, and he could finally rest.

Driving back to the casino, Winters was close to losing consciousness. Keeping himself steady, Winters headed to Marley's room, knocking on the door. "Marley, open up. I need you."

Marley opened the door, standing there in a pair of pink boxers. "Winters, what is it? Wait, what the hell happened to your arm?"

"I lost an argument with a knife." Winters pushed himself in, taking his coat off. Sitting down on Marley's bed, he looked over at his friend. "And I know you're handy with a needle, right?"

Marley grabbed his sewing kit and a bottle of antiseptic alcohol. "You know I am. But you need to be careful out there, Winters. You might have something one day that I can't patch."

Sitting on the bed, Marley threaded a needle, looking at the wound. "I'm going to need you to take your shirt off."

Wincing in pain, Winters took his shirt off. His entire chest had scars and stitches where Marley had patched him up. "Sometimes I can't help but make people angry."

Using the alcohol, Marley poured it over the wound, cleaning it. Grabbing his needle, he started sewing. "Winters, you honestly get me worried out there. I don't mind doctoring you, but how much more can you honestly take?"

"Well, I'm still here, aren't I? I think I still got a few good years left in me." Winters winced, sucking in air between his teeth.

"You're sleeping in my bed tonight. No, that isn't me being sexual; I don't want you to move until morning." Marley carefully sewed the wound shut, cutting the string when he finished.

Winters was going to protest, but the world was spinning around him. From the loss of blood, the fatigue from the fight, and how late it was, Winters knew he would fall to the ground if he even tried getting up. "Fine, I'll stay here. Just don't go groping me, got it?"

"I would never do that. Just get some rest." Marley laid Winters down on his bed, covering him up. Once he knew he was asleep, he went to clean up.

Putting Winter's coat up, Marley went over to his private bar. Pouring a glass of bourbon, he looked out the window at the starry night. He knew that in this city, you couldn't really trust anyone. But Marley trusted Winters. That incubus was the best man he knew; he always kept his word. Taking a sip from the bourbon, Marley glanced over at his bed. He was lucky to have met him and found this place.

Marley finished his drink, putting the glass down as he headed towards a chair. Sitting down, Marley closed his eyes, drifting off to sleep. Tomorrow would be another day and another case for Winters.