The Invitation

Emily:

The police were absolutely no help. I told the officer who came to my apartment about the phone calls, as well as showing him the note. He looked at me like I was a frightened child and shrugged his shoulders.

"Listen, ma'am." He told me, "We get these kind of reports all the time. It's probably some bored guy who gets his kicks out of scaring women. You don't have anything to worry about."

"But he knows my number, and where I live! He even knows my name."

"The guy probably found a piece of your mail lying outside. That's how he knows your name."

"Well, how did he get my number?"

"I don't know, ma'am."

"Aren't you going to try to find out?"

He shrugged his shoulders again. "All I can do for now is file your complaint in our system, and maybe see if we've had other women call us with similar issues."

"Is that all?"

"That's the best I can do for now, ma'am."

"Thanks a lot." I said before showing him out the door.

That prick had no intention of helping me find out who was watching me. He could not have cared less if he tried. I was on my own.

***

The next morning, I sat at my table in biology and tried to get my mind off of the phone calls by going over what I had so far for my half of the report.

Unfortunately, my mind was so consumed with fear that I didn't have time to write a decent paper. I only had about fifty words, and none of it made any sense. I didn't know the first thing about whales.

Vincent came and took his seat next to me, pulling out his notebook. "I finished our report last night."

"You've already finished your half?"

"Both our halves, actually." He said, "I hope you don't mind. I just really like writing about whales."

All of the tension fled from my shoulders and I gave him a big smile. "You have no idea how much I love you right now, Vincent. You're my hero."

His eyes glistened with pleasure and a smile spread across his face as well. "It was no trouble at all."

Professor Lemon came into the room and started droning on about how important this report was to our grades. I still could not believe that Vincent had written the entire report alone.

There had to be some way I could thank him.

I glanced back over him and put my hand on his shoulder, causing him to immediately look at me.

"Do you have any plans tonight?" I whispered.

He shook his head.

"Cool, why don't you swing by my place for dinner later and we can go over the report together."

"Really?" His eyes lit up. "I mean, that would be great."

"How about seven o'clock?"

"Sounds good."

I smiled at him again before turning my attention back to the professor. This was the least I could do for him, and it would be nice to have a little company over during this weird time in my life.

I could buy one of those frozen lasagnas and really make a night of it. Getting to know him would be a lot of fun. He was always so quiet. It would be nice if I could get him to come out of his shell, to really get to know the man behind that bashful exterior.