Prologue

Vincent:

My fists were clenched by my sides as I watched the gum-smacking bimbo type my name into the computer. This was the first day of the semester, a fresh start for me after a rather terrible summer, and I was already being forced to deal with the likes of this incompetent secretary.

All I had asked of her were directions to my biology class, but she decided that I needed a detailed map of the campus, telling me that it would only take her a moment to print one up.

My eyes scanned her face as I waited. Her lips were painted fire engine red, and her eyes were doused in a tacky green eyeshadow. She looked like a cheap hooker that you would see roaming outside of a worn down convenience store. It was disgusting.

"Ah, finally." She mashed a few more keys in with her bony fingers, then a copy of the campus map finally began printing behind her. She spun her chair around and grabbed it from the printer.

"Sorry for the wait, Vance."

"It's Vincent." I corrected, shaking my head.

She laughed, as if I'd said something hilarious, and flashed me a horse-toothed smile. "I never was any good at remembering names. Sorry, Vincent."

"No worries."

I walked out of the office and into the hallway, which was crowded with students. I shoved my way past them and followed the map until I reached my class.

Biology was one of my favorite subjects. There was something exciting about studying different kinds of organisms, especially when they were out of their comfort zones. Oh, how they would squirm.

I found a table in the back of the room and took a seat, staring down as I waited for the professor to come in and begin his lesson. The classroom was already full of students, talking and laughing with each other like a pack of wild animals in the jungle.

There were a few girls looking my way, pointing at me and whispering to each other. One of them, a blonde who looked like a rip-off of Barbie, winked at me and I turned my head away. Her friends giggled, making me roll my eyes in disgust.

What a bunch of miserable cretins.

Was this what I was going to have to endure for the next few years? I thought the days of having girls flirt with me would have died in high school, but I guess immaturity and desperation can follow girls even into their adult years. How sickening!

I stared down at the table, ignoring them to the best of my abilities, until I felt a hand softly touch my shoulder. "Excuse me." A sweet voice said from behind me. "Do you mind if I sit next to you?"

I looked up and saw the most beautiful girl looking down at me, a smile on her pink lips. She had long brown hair and piercing emerald eyes, the kind that could stare right into the deepest parts of my soul.

"N-no, not at all." I stammered like a nervous school boy, clenching my hands in my lap.

She was the most beautiful girl that I had ever laid my eyes on. My heart began pounding relentlessly as she took the seat next to me, and I could already feel beads of sweat swelling on my burning face.

Was this what love at first sight felt like?

No! I couldn't give into these urges! These feelings were evil, and I could not let them overtake me.

"I'm Emily, by the way. Emily Hayden."

Her voice was like a sweet melody in my ears. I wanted to hear more of it, but the classroom door opened before she could say another word.

An older gentleman stepped inside, a suitcase in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. "Sorry, I'm late. He took a seat in his chair and shuffled through the pile of paperwork on his desk. "As you know, my name is Professor Lemon and-"

A snicker was heard from the back of the room.

The professor shook his head. "Yes, I am aware that Lemon is a funny name. Are you quite done?"

The snickering ceased.

"Good. Now then, I want you folks to get a good look at the person sitting next to you."

I glanced over at Emily and she flashed me a smile.

I quickly turned my attention back to Professor Lemon, my face burning.

The professor nodded and said, "I hope you chose your seats wisely, because that person is going to be your lab partner for the rest of the semester."

I stole another glance of Emily, who was jotting something down in a notebook with a pink pen.

She had a carefree smile on her face, so sweet and pure. And she was MINE for the semester.

This was too good to be true.