𝐂𝐇. 𝟐𝟏 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬

THE NEXT MORNING I WOKE AT 6:00 AND SNUCK OUT TO THE BEACH. My shift didn't start until seven but sense the tournament is today, we close early. I traded my spandex and Harvard Hockey shirt for a floral one piece and coconut body spray. I slipped my slides on and grabbed a towel and clothes for work. I walked out through the back door.  I turned the corner around the house and past the outdoor shower to grab my brand new board. I carried it onto our private strip of the beach and set it down so I could place my things in the sand. 

the salty air danced through my hair and the water splashed softly against my skin as I slowly drifted out into the water. I did my best thinking while laying on my boards, and thats what I needed to do right now. Think. Conrad Fisher had been my best friend for years now but I wanted more, I always have. Grayson has been there this whole summer, but I just keep going back to Conrad. 

I felt bad, I felt really bad. Grayson might have been right to say those things at the party, I just wasn't ready to hear them. Conrad Fisher is always going to break my heart in some way but thats why I like him. Grayson is always going to be my back up and that is the worst thing I could possibly do to someone. I'm Halle Stratford, sweet like honey, and as busy as a bee. Who knew I would bee busy breaking poor teenage boys hearts. 

I sat up on my board, I looked around me and took in the sights. I sighed and dipped my feet into the cold water. "you are a piece of work y'know that." I said the my self. I played flat on my stomach and paddled myself back to shore. I grabbed my things and walked back towards the house. "Morning sweetie." I heard coming from susannah. She had her normal smile with a sing-songy tone grasping at every word coming light speed out of her mouth. 

"I'm finishing bells portrait before the games today. Yours looks amazing. I'm so excited for you to see them. Oh, Halle you look so gorgeous even when you're fresh out of the ocean." she just kept smiling. "I love you susie." I said beaming. I could see tears brimming her eyes. "I love you too Halle bear." She replied. "Go, Go. Get ready you have to get to work in 30 minutes." She ushered me away before she could smother me in hugs. 

I laughed and set my board to dry. I walked inside and up the stairs to the teen bathroom. I skipped the shower because I loved the coconut and salt smell and just finished my makeup. I changed into a white tank with some jean shorts and braided my hair half-up-half-down. I put on my blazers and threw my stuff into a tote. "Bye! I'll be back to change!" I shouted quietly to the mothers. 

☄*∞☄*

I spread the gooey sun screen onto my cleanly shaven legs. "I think I'm choosing Grayson." I blurted out to Sophia. She stopped her rhythmic hair brushing and spun towards me. "Grayson?" Sophia said shocked her mouth agape. "Yes, Grayson. and you make it sound like it's a bad thing that I'm choosing him... is it?" I said confusion suddenly pinging my chest. "No it's not bad I'm just seriously surprised that you FINALLY OPENED YOUR EYES!" She shouted the last part. 

"Halle, I know how you are and if I told you Conrad was a no go for you, you wouldn't have listened and you would have gone for him." She sighed setting down my brush. "Honrad is also a  terrible ship name, so I mean." She shrugged. I snorted. "Hrayson isn't much better." I told her shaking my head. "I was thinking more Galle, has a sorta nice ring to it." She smiled. I gaged. "We need to work on these." I said. 

"DOWN STAIRS IN 15 LADIES!" my mother shouted from the bottom of the steps. I jumped up and walked out of my room, Sophia on my heal. I pranced into the kitchen and pulled out a strawberry kiwi juice. "You're like 5 or something." I heard from behind me. I turned around to see Conrad behind me. "You making fun of my juice drinking?" I asked with a smirk. He chuckled. "Maybe." He sent a crooked smile making my stomach roll. 

"Hey I need to talk to you about-" Conrad started but my mother had cut him off. "Jacob, Taylor, Belly, Sophia, Conrad, Halle, Steven, and Jeremiah. Perfect. Is everyone ready?" Jessica asked. a chorus of yeps sounded around the room. 

☄*∞☄*

I wasn't much of a beach Volleyball player but I knew Belly and Taylor had been practicing, so I was ready for a show. Susannah had made her opening speech and everyone and their mother was ready for the fundraiser. As the games began and walked around watching a few rallies from each team. Belly and Taylor were winning by a land slide before Taylor rolled her ankle. 

I skipped Steven and Shayla's game because Conrad was watching. "Hey Stranger." The voice of Grayson snapped me out of my haze. "Gray." I smiled. I wrapped my arms around his torso and he flung his around around me. I lifted my eyes to meet his. His smile was dashing as ever and he smelled nice. 

"he's watching us." He whispered. It  took a second to realize he was talking about Conrad. "He's got a staring problem." I giggled. Grayson sent me a down turned smile that made me cheeks heat up. "So pretty girl, whatcha think about the tournament?" He asked me as we started to walk down the shaded path. "Everyones doing great. Belly is living up to her pledges but when Jeremiah starts to loose the ball she's going to get angry." I smiled grabbed Grayson's hand. 

Grayson locked our fingers together and started drawing tiny circles on my palm. "I know this is sudden," I said quietly unsure if he heard me. "but would you like to be my escort?" I asked a bit louder this time. Grayson's lips parted so you could see his teeth. He lifted me up and connected our lips as he spun me around. "Yes Halle. Of course I will." He beamed. 

I couldn't help but smile just as big too. I was finally getting the attention I deserved. Grayson was the right choice. I wrapped my arm around his waist giving him a side hug while he draped his arm around my shoulders. 

I couldn't be more happy. 

"We have our winners! Isabel Conklin and Conrad Fisher.