𝐂𝐇. 𝟐𝟑 𝐛𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

"𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐆𝐎 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐄, 𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐀𝐍 𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃. 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐖𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐌𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐃." My mother had her slim fingers nestled into my hair as she told me the story of how my parents fell in love. I'd heard it a million times, I wanted to hear it a million more. 

"You're father always told me that if she had shown up and he did go out with her that night, he would probably be wishing he was with me." Her smile was clear and bright but I could see tears sting the brims of her eyes. "I really miss him mom." I told her my voice wavering. "I miss him too, every single day." She whispered. suddenly I felt guilty. 

My mother was my life line. She was there no matter what and she never let me fall off the deep end. She gave me role models and people I could love forever, I was her biggest fan. She was always there for my brother and I but I constantly pushed her away. He might have been my father, but she lost her everything. Her soulmate. I squeezed her. 

"I love you, mom." I whispered, shutting my eyes tight. "forever and ever," she whispered hugging me "and forever more." I finished for her. "Go get your stuff together Hals, 6 hours might feel like a long time, but you have to get there early." My mother said holding my shoulders. I nodded and kissed her cheek. I trampled up the stairs singing horribly to wake up Jeremiah. "I WaS ENCHANTED TO MMEEET YOUUUU!" I screamed barging into his room, spinning around. 

He covered his head with his blanket and groaned. "What do you want Halle?" he asked grumpily. "Jesus someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." I winked sending him finger guns. "Out! I'll be down later, I can't be this hot and not sleep in, I need my beauty sleep." He said turning around, his back now facing me. "Ick." I said gaging and slamming the door. 

☄*∞☄ *

THE NIGHT BEFORE

I couldn't sleep. Thoughts of what happened tonight played through my head. I told Conrad I couldn't do whatever we were. I told him we wouldn't work, I told him that he didn't need me, he didn't like me. He liked the thought of me. He liked the thought of us. I'm going to the ball with Grayson. I knew I was making the right decision. I knew the right choice was to leave what ever Conrad I had, in the past. It hurt, but he's going through something, and I'm not the person he needs to help him through it. I heard a buzz coming from my side table,clearing my thoughts. I sat up and grabbed my phone.

One unread message from:

Conrad

'U up? We need to talk.'

I tore the blankets off of me and slipped my feet into my Ugg slippers. I slowly descended the staircase trying to figure out what I was going to say to him the moment we were face to face. I opened one the sliding glass doors and stepped outside looking around for him. I spotted him sitting on the dock. I slowly walked over with my head down. I made it to him and he quickly stood up.

"Halle." He said in a small voice. He sounded scared. "Stop texting me. Bad things happen when you text me." I said angrily. "I know, I know. I'm sorry." He said. He paused for a second. "I feel like I keep doing the wrong things when I comes to you." He said, his voice gravely. He looked disheveled and tired. I could see purpling eye bags resting under each blue eye. I hesitated and looked down. "This is yours." He said in that same voice. He handed me the infinity necklace. He placed the chain in my hand and started to speak.

 ☄*∞☄ *

"MOM DO YOU KNOW WHERE MY HEELS ARE?" belly screamed frantically running around trying to locate each article of clothing she needed for tonight. I giggled. Surprisingly I'd actually listened to my mother about setting my things aside for tonight. "Maybe you should check your closet?" I suggested with a smirk.