CHAPTER 50 - INFORMATION LEAK

Sitting in a meeting with all the heroes involved in the Overhaul case, Tenko let his mind wander. Sir Nighteye had sent him all the files to look over the other day, and Tenko had somehow managed to read the files page to page. He knew what was going on, and this meeting was nothing more than a formal recap of the same information to the rest of the heroes.

Sir Nighteye had told him that he had to be here today, but Tenko didn't need to be. And they both knew it.

He was here so the other heroes involved in the operation could meet him. Nothing more, nothing less.

With his mind wandering, a thought kept reappearing in his mind.

Null. The vigilante was odd. Mysterious for sure, but still odd. Tenko hadn't had the chance to cooperate a lot with the man himself, but he'd definitely had help from the vigilante's connections. Null practically ran the Musutafu underground scene, with the majority of vigilantes based in Musutafu cooperating with him one way or another.

Null was an old name in the underground, he's been around since Tenko was a kid and had somehow remained uncaught after multiple years of activity. It was a testament to his skill.

Tenko hadn't met the man before this year, but somehow there was a strange familiarity when he'd met him. It wasn't obvious. There was no eureka moment where he immediately knew something was wrong, on the contrary, it was a slow realisation. What had started out as a mere tingling in his subconscious had graduated to a pull towards the vigilante that Tenko just couldn't ignore.

When Null had saved Shouto during the Training Camp Disaster and then Touya during the Kamino Disaster, those feelings just intensified.

Null had an unusual care for the Todorokis, his poorly masked interest in their conversations whenever they discussed their patrol and fights made every logical part of Tenko's brain scream. Null had to know them. No matter what Touya and Natsuo said, this wasn't the action of some fan. Null had to know them.

There weren't too many people that Null could have been. The amount of care he showed them was evidence enough that his relationship with them must be beyond that of mere acquaintances.

If Tenko could only have one guess, there was a face that always came up.

His dad.

It didn't make sense for anyone else to care so much. Tenko didn't have any evidence to prove his theory, but he would soon.

—-------

Stumbling through the backdoor, Touya grit his teeth as the adrenalin thrummed beneath his skin. Scratches and wounds of various sizes littered his body and blood poured out of the few injuries that had not clotted over.

He'd failed.

It was supposed to be an easy mission. They had everything planned, from the location, to their entry point, and exit. Everything was perfect.

But it had all been a trap. A trap for him.

Touya nearly tripped over his own feet as he reached into a cupboard for a spare rag. Thankfully, he was alone tonight. Tenko had been busy with a mission, the Overhaul Mission no doubt, for weeks now. Between the little information his son had personally told him about his work schedule, and what Touya himself knew from being involved in the case, Touya knew that Tenko would not be home in the next few days. All the heroes had gone strangely silent over the last week. Typically in the underground scene, if heroes disappeared after consulting with vigilantes, it meant that their collaboration was over. And that would be fine. Null had dealt with his fair share of heroes in his many years of operation. But it wasn't Null that was so invested in this case.