CHAPTER 46 - PROVISIONAL LICENSING EXAM PART V

Towers of ice began to erupt from all over the exam field. Growing rapidly from the ground, they reached heights of 20 to 50m before they stopped. Roads and paths were soon iced over and blocked as two figures stood at the center of it all.

"Frosty, do you think you may have overdone it?" Pro Hero Midas, or Tenko Watanabe asked his partner for this assignment.

"Not at all!" Pro Hero Jack Frost, or Natsuo Todoroki grinned, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes as he once again placed his hands on the ground. The towers around them grew.

"Now all of you, to your posts."

"Yes Sir!" The sidekicks that had come with them from the agency did a small mock salute before dispersing, leaving Natsuo alone with Tenko.

Natsuo was so glad that he'd managed to get them assigned to the same mission.

When the Fire Bird Agency was once again requested to be guest examiners for the Provisional Licensing Exam, Natsuo had jumped at the opportunity to mess with Shouto.

It helped that he knew he would be able to invite Tenko along. And to a chill assignment too!

It was almost like a date! Natsuo had been so excited when Tenko had accepted his invitation, nothing could bring him down!

Trapping an examinee nearly entirely in ice, Natsuo smiled as he returned to talking with Tenko. In his peripheral vision, he could see one of the sidekicks from a nearby tower start to climb back down. No doubt, said sidekick would place the examinee in the allocated "jail cell". Well, that was just one more examinee that wouldn't pass this exam. But Natsuo wasn't too worried. It wasn't his job to make sure the kids passed. It was his job to make sure that if they couldn't handle hero work, they wouldn't pass.

Touya and Fuyumi had done a great job the previous year, lowering the pass rate from 50% down to 25%. Touya had bragged about it to him just before he and Tenko left for this assignment. But Natsuo was going to beat it. It wasn't secret why the HPSC had requested that their agency test the kids.

Recent events had destabilised hero society in a way that threatened its foundation. With Stain's arrest and motivations being public knowledge, and All Might's retirement, it was no wonder that villain activity had picked up.

If they were going to rebuild without the Symbol of Peace, they needed strong heroes. It wouldn't do to coddle the students. They needed to learn now.

So Natsuo's goal in this exam was simple. He wanted to make the pass rate 10%. Only the best hero students would get their provisional license. And that meant he wasn't going to hold back.

A group of students tried to charge at him as Natsuo used his quirk to form a bow staff. Striking one student to the side of the head and using the back to jab another right at his sternum, Natsuo twisted to dodge as a third student tried a hit to his side.

Natsuo could see Tenko fighting his own group of students as more flowed into the area. They were no doubt brought here to investigate his towers.

Smiling at the pale faces of some of the kids, Natsuo couldn't wait to take them out.

—-------

When multiple towers of ice began to grow around one specific area, it was a reason for concern.

Then the announcement crackled to life, and the familiar voice of the HPSC Representative from before could be heard.

"Villains have been spotted in the Downtown Area. Heroes are to stop the villains and continue to assist with evacuations."