Chapter 1

"Capp, is that woman really as hot as I think? Or am I seeing things?" Blake Gallo asked his colleague.

"She sure is," Capp said, standing and staring at the petite blonde who walking towards the open doors of Firehouse 51.

The two firefighters had been given the tedious task of starting their shift by mopping the floor of the engine bay. The work had now abruptly stopped.

"Please tell me that's the new paramedic," Gallo said.

Capp considered it for a moment. "Well, she's carrying a kit bag, and she's in time for the start of the shift, just about. I'd say she's the new paramedic."

"You should have been a detective," Kelly Severide said dryly as he walked past them. "That floor isn't going to mop itself."

Chastised, the two got back to work, half-heartedly at least. They kept half an eye and both ears on Severide and the new arrival as they approached each other.

"Morning," Severide said, taking first stock of the woman who couldn't be over five feet tall. She looked young, probably one of those people blessed to look younger than her age. She had long blonde hair, although not naturally blonde, with pink colouring at the ends. There were several piercings in each of her ears and a stud in her nose. She was very attractive, not that he needed to window shop when he had a beautiful wife of his own.

"Good morning," the woman said, showing off a gorgeous smile with perfect white teeth. Severide laughed internally, imagining what the single firefighters were going to be like if this was indeed their new paramedic. Some of the married ones would be bad enough.

"Are you joining us today?" he prompted her.

"Yes, sorry. I'm Alexa Bliss. I'm your new paramedic. Who do I report to?"

And she has a name that makes her sound like a stripper. Perfect, Severide thought, somehow not laughing out loud. "I'm Kelly Severide, Lieutenant on Squad 3. You'll want to report to Sylvie Brett. She's your Paramedic in Charge. If you're quick, you'll find her in the locker room. I saw her arrive about five minutes ago." He gave her directions.

"Great, thank you," Alexa said, heading off across the engine bay without further conversation. She noticed a couple of firefighters making a half assed job of mopping the floor while checking her out. It was behaviour she had seen before, and wasn't surprised or bothered by in the least. Firefighters were firefighters.

She followed the directions that Severide had given her and walked into the locker room. There were two women and a man in there. One of the women had paramedic attire on, which helped with identification.

"Sylvie Brett?" Alexa asked politely.

"That's right," Sylvie said with a welcoming smile, getting a first impression of the woman she had only known so far by reading her personnel file. She was qualified and had a good service record. For now she was only a floater, but the permanent spot on Ambulance 61 was there for her to earn after Violet Mikami had moved on.

"I'm Alexa Bliss. I'm your paramedic for the next few shifts. I'm looking forward to working with you."

"Likewise," Sylvie said, meaning it. Ever a hopeful and positive person, she wondered if this might be a new friend coming into her life as well as a work colleague.

"I'm Darren Ritter," said the man who had been in conversation with Sylvie when Alexa walked in.

"Hey," Alexa said with another smile.

The other woman then nodded at Alexa. "Lieutenant Stella Kidd. Welcome. We're a good group of people here. Treat us right, you'll be treated right."

Alexa took that seriously. "Understood." She looked at Sylvie, who was now her boss. "Is there a locker I can use?"