Where Secrets Hide

AN: This is going to be more exposition dumping than a large chapter so I do apologize for the inconvenience. I've added and written things multiple times so I'm just going to go with this for now.

Elsewhere in the kingdom, hidden deep on the other edge of the forest, behind a waterfall were a small group of men surrounding the campfire. Looking grim and hardly eating their supper of potatoes and carrots. Two from Stein and the other, Wysteria. Having met in the war but became good friends since then.

One of them, laid on top of a log, chewing on a piece of hay trying to sleep. One concentrating on carving a spear with a small blade. Which was attacked to a mechanical arm that replaced his left one of skin and bone. The other whistling trying his best to lighten the mood. Fixing up the knee on his half mechanical leg so that he could bend more easily.

"Goofy, if your going to whistle, would ya at least pick another song? It's been the same tune for hours now!" The sleepy- now grumpy duck asked rubbing his eyes before folding his arms back in place.

"Gawrsh, Donald I only know a few of em. But I could try to change it up a bit." Goofy thought momentarily before whistling a more annoying tune than the last.

"Whaa!" Donald yelled as Goofy continued. His temper getting the best of them. Oswald, paused from his carving project, looked up with a smirk. Finally getting a bit of entertainment around the place.

"With your voice you could join him and be a merry band. The great Stein Troubadour duo in all the realms!" He teased laughing along with Goofy, Donald growing more angry, stomping the ground raising his fists.

"Alright, that's enough!" A fourth voice rang out as all three stopped. Facing there friend coming out of the shadows. Carrying back logs of firewood in arms, not much so for in one swift motion put them all in the flames. "Do ya have to poke a sleeping bear with a stick, Oswald?"

"Still not enough eh." Continuing to sharpen his wooden spear, dodging what the question. Mickey rolled his eyes and sat down upon another log.

"It'll do for tonight. But we have something important to discuss." Hands resting his his hands, elbows propped upon his knees. Brows furrowed in deep thought. Oswald paused mid carve to give his friend his full attention. Whatever it was, it was serious, knowing that expression all too well.

"Out with it will ya." Donald exasperated, still reeling a bit from the unnecessary joke.

"Mickey?" Goofy asked with a bit more concern at silence he gave.

"It's about Minnie, right? You went to see her again didn't you." Oswald stated the second part more as a fact than question. Mickey, without so much as a glance or word, wipped out the paper from his pocket, handing it over to him. Arms folded against his chest. Oswald quickly began to scan over the contents. Donald and Goofy over his shoulders as he did so.

"Minnie is going to be forced into marrying that brute?!"

"Poor lass" Goofy stated, though only ever heard of her, knew how important she was to Mickey and even Oswald. Donald felt the same and gave a sympathetic look.

"I'm surprised you didn't take her away right then and there." Donald pondered as they all where thinking the same thing.

"You saw what she wrote. Even if she did runaway, there are still too many rogue bandits still on the loose from the war. She maybe strong but she knows her current limits. Taking the children with her would complicate matters even more. If I were to take her now..." Sighing in defeat, stopping the train of thought.

"Believe me I wanted to.... and will!" Somewhere deep down, a revelation occurred deep within. Standing up he faced his friends with newfound confidence. Though not even trying to hide the frustration, anguish and determination he felt.