Secret Identities

The next three days were full of tension. Ludwig was severely injured and while conscious, hardly had the strength to make an antidote for the king. Goofy and Donald volunteered to fetch what was needed and make it while Ludwig spoke the instructions. Donald taking note of every step along the way.

The Duke kept his distance oddly enough. It was obvious that beneath his cold exterior that he cared more than he was letting on. But not daring to ask because of a gut feeling. Though their curiosity was becoming hard to ignore. Fortunately they didn't have to wait long for answers.

"Ah that old goat!" Ludwig spoke out, so loud that the entire manor could hear, one day as Scrooge passed by the room intentionally not looking through the open doorway. "Still as stubborn as ever."

"What do you mean by that?" Donald asked while re bandaging his arm.

"I mean that he hasn't changed much since I last saw my dear friend."

"Do you mean before the war?" Goofy inclined receiving an answer in a form of a simple nod.

"It wasn't exactly on the best of terms. But it we somewhat repaired the broken bridge. Yet I fear he still might've held a grudge on me."

"Why would he hold a grudge on you?"

"Oh he hasn't told you yet has he." Ludwig stated with a bit of annoyance and slight sadness in his tone.

"About what? Ya kinda speaking in riddles here." Oswald stated impatently.

"I better start at the beginning." Ludwig took a deep breath and the sat up as much as he could given that he was still healing.

"It was many years ago. During king Horace's third year in power. Well as you know, the Tantibus people were those banished from their respective kingdoms. But before that happened, they were up to their old tricks. Causing trouble in the kingdom and what not.

We wanted to help any way we can. Unfortunately we went about things the wrong way. Sometimes accidentally aiding our foe. However we figured it was because of how we went about things. So we met up with the late Captain of the guard, who showed us how to fence, a bit of parkour and about strategizing.

But since everyone knew we were kind of a screw-up, no body gave us a chance. Until Scrooge got an idea from an old book, 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. So we dawned disguises and set out to help those in need during the cover of night. During the day we would go about our day, listening for any information about their next target. So we could be there to stop them." Ludwig then gave a slight chuckle in fondness of the good memories.

"After all we did, I wonder if people still talk about the 'Crimson Phantom' and the 'Shadow Knight'."

"They we're you?!" Mickey exclaimed in shock as Oswald's mouth dropped. Whilst Goody and Donald we're surprised but not nearly as much as the other two.

"Yes, we we're. Though I just explained as such." Ludwig mumbled that last part. "I see you've heard the stories. Some more fabricated than others, I tell you."

"You two were my heroes! Our heroes!" Mickey continued looking at Oswald briefly, and vise versa.

"We heard you just disappeared one day, what happened?" Oswald asked without thinking it through.

"He betrayed me! Left me all alone ya ken!" Scrooge sternly stated, cane in hand as he stood under the doorway with a fury behind his eyes.

"I didn't betray you." Ludwig said nonchalantly, rolling his eyes. "I left to go work for the king as a royal court physician. You had to take on your role of becoming a Duke. Besides you didn't need me. You, Crimson Phantom, would have the place cleared out in mere seconds while I was still trying to tie down the one. "