Chapter One - I'm Nobody! Who Are You?

Y/n pov

There's this rumor going around about  a new girl. I'm not too concerned about it, rumors go around all the time, but we haven't really had anyone transfer mid-term yet, and she must be super interesting if nobody can keep her name out of their mouths.

I haven't really listened to what they've said, tuning out of conversations as soon as people make mention of her because their tones are usually negative, and I don’t like forming opinions on people I haven't met.

It's oddly quiet right now.

The people who were talking around me just stopped out of nowhere.

I look up from the tile on the floor that I had zoned out to and try to figure out what everyone's looking at.

Oh. It's Enid.

Why are they all looking at Enid? I mean yeah, Enid is great, she's like one of my best friends but it isn't normal for people to stare at-

Who is that?

She's the most beautiful person I've ever  laid eyes on. She looks like a silent film heroine. Her hair perfectly braided, hanging neatly from her shoulders; her bangs framing her face. Her obsidian eyes cold and calculating.

Her eyes...
She's staring back at me.

"Y/n! Come meet Wednesday!" Enid shouts, pulling me out of my trance.

Wednesday? Like from the nursery rhyme?

"Uh- hi. I'm y/n, y/n l/n. Sorry for locking eyes with you earlier, you aren't too dizzy, are you?"  I awkwardly introduce myself.

"Dizzy?" She asks.

Her voice-

"Y/n here can disorient people through eye contact. They tend to avoid it." Enid explains for me.

"Ah. I didn't get 'dizzy'." Wednesday commented. "What clique are they in?"

"Clique?" I repeated.

" I was just explaining how people tend to socialize here." Enid offered.

"Ohhh. Yeah, I don't really do cliques. I don't exactly have all the qualifications for any of them, and people are hard to talk to."

At this, Wednesday raised an eyebrow.

"I'm a hybrid. Not fully siren, not fully gorgon."

"Yo! Enid! You're not going to believe the dirt I heard about your new roommate; she eats human flesh. Totally chowed down on that kid she murdered. You better watch your back" an annoying, but well-meaning voice exclaims.

I turn to see Enid revealing Wednesday to Ajax.

Wednesday doesn't miss a beat before responding. "Quite the contrary. I actually fillet the bodies of my victims and feed them to my menagerie of pets."

I giggle at this. (yes, giggle. Y/n is a fucking Simp and you are too. {Dw so am I, you're safe here}) "what kind of pets? Human meat is too fatty for most domesticated animals, and any predatory wild animal would be bored if they didn't get to hunt the food on their own." I think under my breath, just loud enough for Wednesday and Enid to hear. (When I said obscure topics, I meant topics that could get you on a watch-list when researching.)

"Y/n! What did i say about concerning facts?" Enid whisper-yells before turning back to Ajax. "Ajax, this is my new roomate, wednesday"

"Woah! You're in black and white. like a living Instagram filter." Ajax half-shouts

"Ignore him, gorgons spend way too much time getting stoned. He's cute, but clueless. You know, it's a small school and there wasn't much online about you. Oh! You know, you should really get on insta, snapchat, and tiktok."

"I find social media to be a soul-sucking void of meaningless affirmation." Wednesday answers before walking away.

(A/n: sorry for such a short chapter, I was gonna include the fair in this one, but I kinda want it to be it's own chapter now. Especially since I don't have many ideas for it yet.)