Departure - Part 2

The party went on for several more hours as evening began to draw in, and then people began to drift away in twos and threes, seeking out the happy couple for one last goodbye and a congratulatory kiss before leaving. Duty and custom required that Thomas and Lirenna be the last to leave, and so they hung on while a small group of young farmers laughed and joked about the antics of a group of milkmaids they knew while tucking heartily into what remained of the food while gloom darkened all around them. It was almost fully dark before they finally decided to make their way home as well, still laughing at some private joke that the wizards missed, and then the field was empty except for the goats who began to make their slow and hesitant way back across, sniffing curiously at plates, napkins and bits of half eaten food that had fallen onto the grass.

     Knowing that Dallon would have arranged for someone to clean away the mess, Thomas, Lirenna and Derrin set off along the lane that led to their own village. Thomas pulled a sun stone from his pocket, spoke the word to activate it and tossed it into the air. It lit up like a small sun and hovered above them, following them as they walked and illuminating the road ahead of them. Outside the circle of light, though, the rest of the valley was hidden in gloomy darkness.

     “I hope we don’t get mugged on the way home,” said Derrin as they walked, three abreast, along the narrow lane. He was staring around at the fields and hedgerows on either side, and Thomas knew that his eyes were able to penetrate the darkness, that he was able to see the body heat of the small birds and animals they were passing by. Derrin wasn’t looking at birds and animals, though. He was staring around as if a gang of criminals might come jumping out at them at any moment. “Three people,” he muttered darkly to himself. “All alone in the darkness…”

     “Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Derry,” said Lirenna, frowning at him.”

     “You're right,” the boy agreed solemnly. “What do I have to fear with two powerful wizards walking beside me? I'm glad I'm not out here all alone, though…”

     “Stop it, Derry,” said Thomas seriously, but when Derry turned his head to look at him there was a wicked smile on his face and his parents couldn't help but grin back. “And to preempt your next point,” Thomas added, “Yes, I do know that Lake Hew is just a couple of miles away from here, and I do know that, if you were on your own, on your way back from fishing in it, you would be perfectly safe. As safe as if you were back home, in your own room. How safe you are here isn't the point, though. You understand?”

     “Yes,” the boy replied, no longer smiling. “I'm sorry.” He hung his head in shame for a moment, but shame wasn't an emotion he had much practice with and a few moments later he was cheerful again and skipping ahead, as he usually did. Whenever the three of them went out together, he almost always arrived home several minutes before his parents and would be sitting on the gate, swinging his legs while he waited for them to catch up with him.

     This time, though, Thomas called him back, and Derrin frowned curiously at the unusually serious tone in his father's voice. He waited for his father to speak, but Thomas walked on in silence for a few moments longer, carefully choosing his words, the boy trotted along at his side. "What is it?" he asked nervously, glancing back and forth between his two parents. "Is something wrong? I know the rest of the world isn't as safe as Haven. I wouldn't go off all alone after dark out there…”

     “That isn't it,” said Thomas hurriedly. "No, no, not at all. Derry, your mother and I think you've got a chance of becoming a wizard. What do you think of that?"

     "I do!" insisted the boy in sudden delight. "I keep telling you!"

     "Yes, I know," said Lirenna, anxious to calm him down. "But there's no way to tell in advance who's got wizard potential and who hasn't. Some of the brightest, most intelligent people in the world have failed the test, while some real fuzzheads pass with flying colours. I don't want you thinking you're destined to be a wizard in case you're disappointed."