The Saboteur - Part 2

"Derry is not going to become another Malefactos!" vowed Lirenna with determination. "He isn't going to become an evil, tyrannical wizard King! I won't let him!"

     They were back in the dwelling tree, sitting in the small and cramped sitting room. Thomas was in his new armchair, but was not relaxing in it. They were both sitting forward, staring anxiously at each other. Above them, a sun stone lit the room with a soft yellow light. Outside the window behind Thomas’s head, Lirenna could see the colourful lights of lanterns and candles through the trees where the shae folk were having one of their frequent midnight festivals. The sound of music carried easily on the still night air, but the demi shae was blind and deaf to everything except the worried conversation she was having with her husband.

     "No-one's saying he will," said Thomas. "It just means he's got great potential, that's all. Whether it means he becomes a good great wizard or an evil great wizard is a matter of upbringing, and we'll make sure we bring him up to be good. The best!"

     The demi shae nodded but still looked unhappy. "It means he'll stand out," she said. "The teaching wizards and the other apprentices will be paying special attention to him. That can't help but have an effect on him."

     "He’d have stood out anyway, just for being the smallest student in the valley, and back home he stood out for being the fairest, brightest, most graceful pupil in a school of humans. He's used to standing out. He can handle it."

     "I hope so," replied Lirenna reluctantly. She stood up, wanting to pace up and down, but the room wasn't big enough for it so she ended up looking out through the window where Thomas joined her, one arm around her shoulders. "The shae folk will never let him become a full member of their community," she said, "and he'll never really fit in among humans. What's to become of him, Tom? What's going to become of our son?"

     "You did all right," pointed out Thomas. "You're perfectly happy whether you're among shae folk or humans. He'll be the same, you'll see." He squeezed her against him and she relaxed, letting her body mould itself against his. He nuzzled his face in her hair. "We've got to let him solve his own problems," he said, resting his chin on top of her head. "Don't underestimate him. He has qualities and resources even we don't suspect."

     She nodded. "You're right, I know. I just wish there was more we could do to help him, but all we can do is watch over him and be there when he needs us." She gave a sad little smile. "In a way, I'm glad we can't teleport any more. If we could, we'd be back in Haven, thousands of miles away, but instead we're here, where he can call upon our help any time he needs us, and in a way that won't embarrass him with his classmates."

     The thought seemed to cheer her up and she returned to her chair, snuggling down into it. Thomas went to stand behind her and began massaging her shoulders, and after a moment the demi shae began to sigh with pleasure.

     "I got a job earlier today," she said a few moments later. "On the farm, looking after the animals."

     "Did you?" said Thomas in surprise. "You didn't say."

     "I was too busy thinking about the testing, worrying about how he'd do. You know?"

     "Yeah." Normally, she would have gushed about something like that until her throat was sore from talking. For something significant to happen in her life and her not to tell him immediately meant that she was even more bothered by the test than he'd thought. Thomas decided to try to lighten the mood. "So, you're going to be a milk maid, are you? Milking the cows, feeding the hens. Mucking out the pigs... I hope you clean the muck off your face before you come home."

     She tried to smile but said nothing. Thomas just held her tighter, therefore, and Lirenna relaxed against him, letting herself be held. “He's going to be alright,” he repeated. “He's going to be just fine.”