𝟶𝟷𝟶. 𝙻𝙾𝚅𝙴 𝚂𝙾𝙽𝙶

GLEE — BALLAD

   love songs

   love songs.

   valerie glanced over at santana, reminiscing their kiss they once shared.

   however, after that kiss things between the hastings and lopez had been awkward. words were barely spoke between each other and bianca didn't like to mention santana around valerie anymore. it only made valerie wonder if she had done something wrong? had she forced santana into the kiss? did the kiss make her uncomfortable? what was so wrong with her?

   multiple questions fizzed in her head, and after reading the word 'ballad' on the whiteboard, valerie knew she wanted to couple with santana.

   "ballad! from middle english 'balade.' who knows what this word means?" mr schuester said before walking over towards the teenagers, rachel's hand reaching into the air.

   "it's a male duck," brittany said.

   "that's a mallard..." valerie corrected.

   the silence soon fell over them all, all dazzled and confused by brittany wrong answer before valerie planted her hand onto her forehead. "kurt." mr schue picked, kurt smiled: "a ballad is a love song."

   santana looked over at valerie, eyes meeting before making her feel really confused. as mr schue explained what a ballad was, valerie couldn't help ignoring him as she fell deeper into her questioning thoughts. santana was really confusing her, she turned her head and looked at bianca who was already staring at her. "what?" she mouthed, cutting back into the presence as puck stood and picked a name from the hat: "mercedes."

   mercedes rolled her eyes before valerie stood, fingers crossing as she hoped to get santana so they could resolve this unknown tension between the two. fingers grabbing carefully so she wouldn't rip the paper, she looked down to see the name 'quinn' written in the sheet. a smile formed on her lips, "um, quinn."

   quinn's eyebrows raised before valerie sat back into her place, the others pulling the names out: artie and bianca, santana and brittany, kurt and finn, tina and mike... rachel and mr schue. "would you mind clarifying what songs you would like us to sing?" artie asked.

   "why don't you let mr schue and i demonstrate. brad, endless love, in b-flat, please. it's my favourite duet!" rachel recommended before valerie physically cringed at the thought of rachel singing a love song towards mr schue. it seemed like mr schue did too: "i really don't think that's an appropriate song, rachel."

   "why? it's a great song and a perfect ballad," rachel wasn't going to give up. "yeah. i really like that song, mr schue," finn said, still sour over him having to sing a ballad with kurt. valerie chuckled, alongside the other students before brad began to play the piano.