Chapter 6

Despite Leonard's desire to immediately head to the capital, the Eastern nation Egrad directly touching the kingdom's borders, decided to cross the line and launched a sneak attack. As the commander, he couldn't leave and disregard the kings royal decree.

Only when he beheaded the enemies leading commander, was he able to attend his wife's funeral three months later. When he arrived to investigate, everything was already cleaned up and packaged into a neat little story.

Leonard investigated deeply as he could, yet no evidence yielded. All he suspected was that his aunt conspired with the princess. His former fiancé whom fancied him since they were young.

Not even 40 days after he returned, the old king had the audacity to suggest a marriage between Leonard and the princess.

Either Annabelle was killed and it was staged as an accident or-

'She gave up. Perhaps she could no longer endure such suffocation constantly without any emotional support. I left her alone.'

But it didn't matter. Regardless of what actually happened Leonard wanted to vent his anger. He swore to reck havoc upon those who dared scorn his beloved duchess.

The first he took care of was his maternal aunt and her daughter, his cousin. He didn't interrogate them. No, he was afraid of the truth.

That Annabelle may have truly taken her own life. That she couldn't depend on him and chose to leave him behind.

He would rather believe another reason was behind her death. That way he could vent the frustrating sorrow that choked him every night.

Taking care of the nobles took longer than he'd liked, but the result was as he wanted. The nation's political body swayed as everyday one noble family would fall and another would rise. Leonard made wave after wave, dragging many down.

His revenge was practically complete, with only the princess remaining. In less than five years into Leonard's vengeance, the old king had passed and the crown prince had succeeded him.

The new king was a wise and trustworthy. He sincerely put down his pride and apologized, quenching Leonard's scorched heart.

Leonard's response was only one condition.

'Marry off the princess to the farthest country from here, never to step foot on this land again. Thereafter, you shall have my loyalty, your majesty.'

He couldn't demand her death unless he truly desired to revolt against the royal family. But he chose not to create any more chaos.

He still had someone to protect.

A child, left behind by Annabelle. Annabelle had locked herself in her room during her pregnancy, isolating herself from everyone except the one person she trusted; her nanny. She had secretly given birth with the help of her nanny, and hid the child. Only after her death and when he returned from war, did the nanny come forward.

Delighted at his new purpose in life, he stayed by his daughters side for a few years watching her grow up.

But she reminded him of Annabelle so, so much. The hole in his heart continued to ache further day by day.

He couldn't stand it. Depression swallowed him whole. He overworked himself until he brunt out. And when that wasn't enough, he turned to alcohol to numb his mind from the memories of his wife.

Four years after the death of his wife, the kingdom Egrad waged war against them again. This time, Leonard volunteered.

He justified his absence in his daughters childhood by believing he was protecting her and all his territory's citizens. This was his duty as the lord of the Marvon Ducal territory. He was doing the right thing, no doubt.

Blood lust replaced alcohol. The war took his mind off the things he didn't want to think about, the two precious ladies in his life.

And now that he was to return after the war, he remembered that he had family. A daughter waiting for him.

******************

Leonard's mood lightened as he bragged all about his daughter.

'I raised a daughter too, old man.'

'That was your sister. You wouldn't understand, youngster.'

If I had a face it would be twitching to no end right now. I continued to endure the mans bragging as he went on and on.

It made me curious at one point, so I dwelled into his memories. His daughter, Erica, was truly an Angel as a baby. Chubby white cheeks like dumplings and ruby pink eyes, she was like a lovely doll.

But...

'Hmm? Hey, old man. I don't think your daughter grew to be as wonderful as you're making her seem.'

Leonard had his trusted butler report to him of his daughters well-being monthly. Erica was said to be arrogant, looked down on the servants, and an overall snobby noble young lady. Not at all elegant or kind.

'Oh, it's fine, she's still maturing.'

This daughter-con seemed to have a filter in his brain that gave Erica an everlasting free pass.

Suddenly, his chatter stopped.

'It's time.' Leonard solemnly stated. 'Young man, it's time for me to reunite with my beloved wife. She's waiting for me.'

'What?'

'I made a deal with a higher being. As my death can not be permitted at this time, another must take my place. You were chosen. All I ask of you is take care of my daughter. You can do as you wish with all else. Goodbye, young man.'

'Huh? Wai-!'

"Wait!"

I gasp, feeling as if the air was knocked out of me.

That damn old man said his piece one-sidedly and left. I had a shit tone of questions with no one to answer them. Especially that 'higher being' thing he said. Did gods actually exist here? Did they intervene in the lives of mortals?

...What a headache.

"Hahh."

I sit up, careful of my shoulder. It seemed I was moved to the commanders tent.

"Ha!" A breathless chuckle escaped me.

From a business man in my first life to suddenly a prominent noble of a kingdom.

I shake my head at the absurdity of my situation. Ella would have a field day knowing the concept of reincarnation actually existed. Ella, Alissa, Luis...

Before I could dwell deeper in my thoughts, Conner requested entry from outside the tent.

"Come in."

"Sir." He saluted upon entering my sight.

I nod in acknowledgment as I slowly get up, minding my injure as I put on a coat and I made my way to the desk.

"Your orders have been completed. The enemy has been driven off past the borders."

"Good job."

"Not at all, my lord. All I did was reap a fully grown harvest of your efforts, commander." Conner humbly replied as his eyes shone with respect.

His sparkling eyes were burdensome, making me turn away awkwardly.

"Yeah..."

I've never fought in a war, much less won one. I've killed, yes, but leading a war required a whole separate skill set. Killing was different from the talent, charisma, and strategic skills needed to lead thousands of men and gain their respect.