Chapter five

"I knew it! Hello, Thing." I say, Thing tries to escape but I grab him before he can get away. He grabs onto the railing of the bed but I pull him off. Facing me, "Did you really think my highly trained olfactory sense wouldn't pick up on the faint whiff of neroli and bergamot in your favorite hand lotion? I can do this all day." I say taking him over to my desk, and slamming him down palm first. I keep my hand on top of his making sure he doesn't try to escape. "Surrender?" I ask, calmly and he taps out, surrendering. I let him go, shining the lamp on him as if I'm interrogating him.

"Mother and Father sent you to spy on me, didn't they?" I ask. Thing motions 'no' with his pointer finger. "I'm not above breaking a few fingers." I remind him. "The fact that they thought I wouldn't find out just proves how much they underestimate me" I say, Thing starts talking with his fingers, like sign language.

"Oh, Thing, you poor, naive appendage. My parents aren't worried about me. They're evil puppeteers who wanna pull my strings even from a far." I say as Thing stands there listening to me. "The way I see it, you have two options. Option one" I say, grabbing him with one hand and quickly pulling the top drawer open. "I lock you in here for the rest of the semester, and you go slowly insane trying to claw your way out, ruining your nails and your smooth, supple skin. And we both know how vain you are." I lower him toward the drawer as his nails scrap down the desk. I pull him back up, sitting him back on the desk and shutting the drawer.

"Option two, you pledge your undying loyalty to me." Thing kneels on his fingers, pledging to me. "Our first order of business is to escape this teenage purgatory" I say to him. He uses his sign language and asks if I have a plan. "Of course I have a plan and it begins now." I say as Enid walks through the door and Thing hides. Enid makes her way over to her bed throwing herself down and screaming into her pillow.

"Ahhhhhh, why is he never around!" Enid continues yelling into her pillow. I turn around facing her, "everything ok?" question, wishing I hadn't. "No! Everything isn't ok, Wednesday" she looks up at me "everytime I wanna see or talk to Ajax he's never around. Like I haven't seen him all day today." She complains. "I seen him earlier. You're not missing out on anything" I reply. "Wait. You seen him? Where?" She asks eagerly with a huge grin on her face. "He was hanging out with y/n, down by the lake. Although I haven't seen either of them since" I tell her and her smile fades, screaming into her pillow once again.

"This is ridiculous, I'm just gonna sleep it off" she says looking up at me and then she throws the blanket over her. I get up out of my chair, walking over to the window, opening it to get some fresh air, its still raining and that's when I see y/n coming back from wherever she went earlier. I'm guessing she didn't make it back before class. As she gets closer I can see that she's covered in blood. I close the window, putting Thing in my backpack and making my down stairs to see what happened to y/n, curious as to why she was covered in blood. I make my way outside, trying not to get wet. I see y/n sitting on the ground, in the same place I almost got crushed to pieces.

She's just sitting there, in the rain. I slowly make my way over to her, getting drowned by the rain. I sit next to her and she doesn't make a sound or a movement. We're sitting it the rain getting soaked, a few minutes go by before I can say anything. "Why are you all bloody?" I question her but she doesn't say a word. The storm starts getting worse and the thunder makes a loud crackling noise, snapping her back into reality. "I don't know" she says almost whispering. We sit in silence for a few moments before my curiosity takes over. "What happened between you and Enid?" I ask, hoping to get an honest answer.

She slowly drops her head. "Enidwas my best friend, awhile back when we were roomies I got expelled from school for a couple weeks and when I came back I had found that my side of the room was bare. All of my stuff had been moved to a different dorm. I'm guessing while I was gone she went through my journal and saw things she wasn't meant to see. I don't know though because after that she avoided me at all cost, so I just blocked her out and pretend that she didn't exist" she sighs "it wasn't easy though, you know? Coming back to school after being expelled and finding out that you lost your best friend.. Anyways it doesn't matter" she says, pulling her knees up into her chest.