Secret Little Rendezvous

If tomorrow were the last day of my life on Earth, I would go meet you at our special place, a paradise where only you and I can express and conversate.

As the clock ticks and time slowly walks toward the inevitable future, our relationship ameliorates with each passing day. From the subtle eye contact to the demure smiles that we share, you leisurely start to become the other half that I wasn’t aware of. With people around, I often feel so blue. But with you, at our secret escape, I genuinely laugh without a clue. If we had become alone in the dark, we would have chattered about the littlest things. Those diaphanous hazel orbs of yours would stare right into mine if the sun rose into the young early morning.

But it wasn’t always been this way. Since the beginning, we were utter strangers, both of which never intended to interact with one another. You were the mischievous good boy and I was the mundane Poindexter. You were in the intense spotlight of attention, and I was there in solitude. The two of us lived in completely divergent conditions, each peculiar to the other. Despite our contrasting characters, you attempted to befriend me, and at first, I got mortified and pushed you away. As the stubborn nincompoop that you are, you kept on insisting until I slowly accepted your vexatious yet tranquilizing presence. Perplexity would repeatedly hit me hard like a massive truck as I wonder what you have seen in me that no other couldn’t. Would you still have tried if I had turned you down continuously? If I had been any different, would you still have approached me?

The day after my approval, you led me into a place that was exceptional to you. And before I knew it, I was in a field of ethereal dandelions and tulips. Never loquacious, at that moment, I was entirely lost for words. When my eyes met yours, that’s when I felt butterflies fluttering inside my stomach. I remember my cheeks flushing crimson and my poor heart was thumping madly against my delicate chest. Would I feel the akin eerie emotions if it were another man?

They say that love is ubiquitous, but what if the only person that I want to adore and cherish for the rest of my time is you? It took a while for me to have an epiphany, but I’ve always admired you, even from the very beginning of it all. My heart keeps on pushing me to confess my affinity for you, but my brain speaks otherwise. How would you have reacted if I had told you my romantic feelings? If you had known the truth, would you still have acknowledged me the same way?

However, after all the time we’ve spent talking and beholding one another’s existence under the sparkling midnight sky, my hiraeth to call you mine only grows stronger. I would have been consumed by negative energy if you hadn’t entered my life. If you hadn't approached me in the first place, I wouldn’t have had this enormous smile on my face. No one would have reminded me how much I’m an epitome of a champion if you hadn’t been so desperate with your amiable intentions. You taught me how it feels to experience such emotions, and I’ve never been any more grateful.

So, if tomorrow were my last opportunity to perceive your presence, in our secret little rendezvous, I would tell you, that I love you.

[Original Work of Lianne Talan]