The Act Begins

While the next couple of weeks were relatively uneventful, the pair had decided the first event they would attend where they were certain media and paparazzo would be present. It was the last event before Halloween, and it was a charity fundraiser to provide money for the local children's hospital. Rachel arranged for a private showing of gowns for the event, where she sat with Nick and Selene to select a few dresses that would be appropriate for this type of thing. Since Selene was barely over 5' tall, it was already known they would likely require alterations.

Rachel already had a seamstress ready to handle everything, having measured Selene extensively to ensure she could make all the gowns would fit her perfectly.

With the gowns, Rachel made sure she had heels that would go with them, all with 4" or higher heels. Selene had to practice walking in the at home, and Nick was struggling to hide how sexy he thought she looked. It had required a lot of willpower, but he'd managed not to get too forward with her. There had been a few make out sessions, though, leaving Nick playing fantasies in his head while he masturbated in the shower. He inwardly cursed Rachel, while also thanking her for everything she was doing for Selene.

Selene, meanwhile, was focused on learning what she needed to know when she wasn't working. She seemed oblivious to the way Nick looked at her, and remained convinced that other men only wanted her for sex. Perhaps due to her past trauma, she seemed unable to comprehend the idea someone might actually be interested in her for her. It was almost like it was a completely foreign concept.

Nick spent a significant amount of time learning everything he could about PTSD, child sex abuse, and what helped to control or relieve symptoms. What he found sometimes broke his heart enough to bring him to tears. He was introduced to a few survivors in the BDSM community who offered similar advice and a number of things to watch out for. While he was o expert, by the time the night came, he felt better prepared.

The worse thing he'd learned, though, had him feeling extra protective. Victims were often repeatedly victimized, especially those who'd suffered in childhood. It was like they wore a sign for other predators, one sub told him. Because of conditioning, she would likely not report it or discuss it and suffer in silence. While he couldn't control her, he was determined to keep his eyes out for any potential danger. From what he'd been told, anyone could be a predator – even the ones who seemed to be the least likely. Young, old, preacher, cop – it could literally be anyone. He was understanding more and more why Selene kept everyone at arm's length.

God only knew who all had abused her before. It tore at his heart.

However nervous she might have been, when Selene stepped out in the gown, she showed nothing but confidence. Nick felt as if the breath had been knocked out of him.

She was wearing an emerald colored dress that practically glowed against her cinnamon-toned skin. With silver trimming and beadwork, the halter dress was the perfect match to her eyes, causing them to stand out. The cosmetics enhanced her natural appearance, the colors just enough to give her a glamorous look. Her long hair had been pulled up and made into dozens of small braids that looped and twisted around each other in a complex style that looked like it took a number of hours to arrange just so. She was wearing minimal jewelry, but she didn't need more than the white gold earrings and bracelet.

"Wow," he whispered, finding himself unable to say anything else.

Selene looked up and smiled shyly at his expression.

"You like it?"

Nick blew out a harsh breath. "You look so... you're so... breathtaking," he finally managed. "You are going to be the most beautiful woman there."