11. Gumption

''The Hand, Your Grace.''

''Say your peace.'' Alicent muttered

''Now, what peace is that?'' Otto questioned

'I've conducted myself in a manner... unbefitting my station. Or any other. I lost composure... assaulted the Princess. Already the word is spreading, the gossip speculating that I've gone mad.' Alicent remarked through a sob.

''All true.'' Otto agreed

''I disgraced myself. And ensured my husband's favor will forever rest on her.'' Alicent said with a sneer.

''And yet... I've never seen that side of you, my daughter. I even doubted its existence.''

''It was an ugly thing. I regret it.''

''We play an ugly game. And now, for the first time, I see that you have the determination to win it.''

''Rhaenyra..'' Alicent began.

''You see her for what she is.'' Otto told her.

''What the King's stubbornness has wrought. What will he say to me?'' Alicent said miserably.

''He'll forgive you. What else can he do? Now go to him, be penitent, plead the injury to your son. Keep a grip on your passions. And I promise you, in time, you and I together will prevail.''

''What that rogue Aemond has done in winning Vhagar to our side.''

''The boy was right. It's worth a thousand times the price he paid.'' Otto agreed. Alicent stared back at her father as she let out a huff of a breath. "We need to talk about-"

"Stella." She whispered. 

"You really want to tear them apart?" Otto questioned. "Aegon was doing great, a real leader, acting like a king to be. You tell him he is to marry his sister and he drank the night away."

"Stella-"

"Has gumption." Otto remarked. "She is powerful and strong and brave and fights. You need her on your side. Helaena, she is a sweet girl but she would sooner drive into insanity than protect her family."

"Aemond doesnt like Stella." 

"I think he does after today." Otto countered. "Stella is vocal and loud yes, but she stood up for Aemond today. SHe helped him. You saw her, she put her hand on his eye, closed the wound, that would have been moons of agonizing pain and you know it. She helped him."

"How did she do that?" Alicent agreed. 

"She has magic within her." Otto answered. "And a witch on our side is always a good thing." 

"Its a dangerous thing too. Witches have burned in the past." Alicent countered. 

"Not Stella Lannister, we will protect her and a union to Aegon will secure her loyalty to us. To House Hightower, to your children." Otto declared "You know I'm right. Just let the boy be happy." 

 Rhaenyra winced out as the maester sewed her up.

''You will scar, but the wound will heal. Valyrian steel cuts clean.'' Maester kelvyn informed her.

''Gods. Is everyone all right?'' Laenor said entering the room, he had been in the waters since his sisters send off, he missed all the fun.

''A broken nose is the worst." Maester Kelvyn remarked.

'' Thank you, maester. Leave us.'' Rhaenyra requested ''You as well. You've already found enough trouble today.'' Rhaenyra told her boys

''Yes, Mother." Luke agreed as him and jace left.

''I should've been there.'' Laenor remarked softly.

''Those should be our house words.'' Rhaenyra teased.

"What did you do?" Aemond questioned for the millionth time. 

"I'm helpful, I told you, we are going to be family when I marry your brother. I dont want-"

"Stella!" Aemond begged. "What are you?"

"I dont know." Stella admitted. "I have just always had this..." She lifted her hand and golden sparkling flecks of light floated from her fingers. "You can't tell anyone."

"You can heal people." Aemond declared. "What else can you do?"

"You shouldnt tell anyone that." Stella countered. "I dont want to be labeled a witch." 

"But you did it out in public-"

"People dont want to believe in witches and magic." Stella countered. "I should be fine but dont go running your mouth." Stella instructed. 

"Thank you stella." 

"You are welcome Almond." 

"Why do you always ruin a good moment?"

+

''I've asked them to have wine ready for you on the ship. To help you sleep." Alicent remarked putting a blanket over Viserys he groaned in pain ''I'm so sorry. Viserys...'

''We will speak no more of it.'

"Stella Lannister..." Alicent offered. "I think you were right." Viserys glanced back at her. "She brings out the best in Aegon. I would like to go through with their union... If it something you still want." Viserys nodded. 

"I think that will be for the best." Viserys agreed. 

''Fire is such strange power. Everything that House Targaryen possesses is owed to it. Yet it has cost us both what we loved. Perhaps the Velaryons knew the truth of it.'' Rhaenyra remarked as her father sailed home.

''The sea is the better ally. Fire is a prison. The sea offers an escape.''

''A perversion of justice. The young prince... defiled. An outrage." Larys remarked limping up to Alicent

''Indeed.'' Alicent agreed softly

''If it's an eye you want to balance the scales, I am your servant.'' Larys offered

''That will not be necessary. But your devotion has not gone unnoticed. These are dangerous times. The day will doubtless come when I require such a friend.'' Alicent told him softly. ''With not only skill but discretion as well.''

''I shall await your call, my Queen.''

"You okay?" Aegon questioned. 

"Yes just need to convince your mother that we are perfect together." Stella answered. 

"We are going home... two days on the open water... hey what you did for Aemond... that was pretty cool." Aegon added. "I didnt know you could do that." 

"Me either but when he was hurt, I just felt this tug." Stella shrugged. "I dont know." She countered lifting her fingers. "I just wanted to make the pain stop and the light knew what to do." 

"My magical little Starlight." Aegon whispered kissing her. "Thanks for doing that for him. I know I torment him but its only because he is my little brother. "

"I know." Stella agreed. "And I torment him because he's Almond."  Aegon laughed out. 

''I need you, Uncle.'' Rhaenyra told him as he leaned back against the stone wall. ''I cannot face the greens alone let us find our blood just as aegon the conqueror did with his sisters with you as my husband and prince consort my claim would not be so easily challenged the valeryan's are of the sea but you and I we are made of fire we have always been meant to burn together.' Rhaenyra declared.

'' We could not marry unless Laenor were dead.'' Daemon reminded her

''I know.''