Thoughts of The Past

I don't know what to do...
Someone...
Help me...
Please...

------------

  Mikage carefully wrapped the fox in a warm blanket as the soup he was making cooked.
  "What did you say you name was again?" he asked, brushing a strand of hair out of the Fox's face.
  "Tomoe."
  Was the only reply he got. He smiled at the breifness and went back to the soup.
  "Well Tomoe, I suppose you'll be in my care for awhile"
  "I'm fine."
  "Ah yes, that's why I found you collapsed and near dead because of a curse correct?"
  He heard a soft tsk from the bed and chuckled. Who knew wild foxes were so entertaining.
  "And you said your alone yes?"
  Tomoe shifted uncomfortably where he sat and nodded.
  "I guess so."
  Mikage poured some soup into a bowl and gave it to the yokai. He ran a hand through Tomoe's hair.
  "Eat up, you'll need your strength if you wanna heal"

------------

  Tomoe smiled sadly at the fond memory. His first memory of Mikage. At present time he was making the exact soup Mikage had made him for his new master, Lord Nanami.
  Of course he still missed his old master, Mikage was one of the first people to genuinely care for him. But he'd left, and now none of that matters.
  He left because Tomoe wasn't good enough. Because he'd messed up. He'd done something to drive him away.
  No, stop it.
  Tomoe attempted to shake the negative thoughts out of his mind. Forget about Mikage and focus on making Nanami's soul. She's ill and needs to be taken care of.
  After carefully pouring the soul into a bowl, Tomoe brought it and a cup of fresh tea to Nanami's room.
  As he opened the door he heard Nanami turn over in her bed.
  "Hey tomoe-"
  Nanami paused and stared at Tomoe as he set down her meal.
  "Is something wrong Nanami?"
He asked, half worried what her response would be.
  "Tomoe.. Are you.. Crying..?"
  After a moments surprise at the question tomoe gently lifted his hand to his face and discovered he was, in fact, crying. Mentally cursing himself for letting his emotions get the better of him and worrying Nanami he quickly wiped his tears.
  "I'm fine, don't worry"
  Nanami didn't look convinced but was to tired to argue and just took a sip of tea. Tomoe silently went to leave the room when Nanami spike up.
  "Your hiding something from me Tomoe..."
  All he could do was walk away and close the door.

------------

  A few days after Nanami had caught him crying, Tomoe noticed something different in her behaviour. She put more effort into chores, was practicing her magic constantly, and at the end of everyday she always gave him a brief pat on the head and told him how well he'd done today.
  He knew she was trying to help but it was really just stressing him out more.
  Everything she did now, reminded him of Mikage. She even spoke to him like Mikage always had. It's quite difficult to forget someone when it feels like your living with them again.
  He tried to keep his emotions in check and just ignore her most of the time but it was hard. Nanami had become a huge part of his life, he couldn't just cut her out. Just like he knew he'd never be able to cut out Mikage.
  Nanami seemed oblivious to her familiars odd reactions to her behavior. In fact, she was acting like nothing had changed at all. In retrospect that is fine, until she accidentally went a little to far.

------------

  Tomoe trembled slightly in Nanami's hands. He'd gotten injured in a fight and Nanami was helping him. Mikage had done this to, but that's not what triggered the foxes panicked behaviour.
  Nananami stared at him with worried eyes as she finished wrapping the bandages, seemingly unaware of the affect her words had had on her familiar.

"You really should be more careful Tomoe, someday I won't be here to patch you up when your hurt."

Nanami's eyes widened as tears freely flowed down Tomoe's cheeks. It was only when he'd spoken one word did she realize her mistake.

"Mikage..?"