11

As more days passed, more questions pervaded Yoongi's mind. He never spoke to his father about the figure in his room, or how it had watched him in his sleep. How it had got in and how it had escaped without a speck behind.

Surely his father would only say he was having a nightmare like he often does when he was little. But Yoongi isn't little anymore—and it wasn't a nightmare. He wasn't having a bad dream. In fact, he'd never had a bad dream anymore since the day he turned fifteen.

It was the thing Yoongi could not tell his parents. And it's killing him.

Yoongi was so convinced with himself that what he saw that night was real. Mysteries piled over one another, and they were left hanging there waiting to be discovered. It was just that Yoongi could not figure it out yet.

What does that mysterious figure need from him? Why does it keep coming back but slip when it gets caught?

With all the accidents and nightmares, made Yoongi miss his old home more. In Seoul, there aren't wolves and horrifying figures watching you when you sleep. No rusty odors and stinking smell of bears and dogs. Which made his old home better than the squeaky old house they have right now.

However, there is a tiny gut inside of him, like a maggot in an apple core, that wants to stay and find out about the mysterious figure in the shadow, and what it had to do with him. He wants to explore and find out about the things that hide behind the tall dark trees. Yoongi had gone there multiple times already and even almost lost his life to a crazy man—but something keeps Yoongi coming back to it. He wants to discover something; something no one has ever seen before; something no other explorer had discover. And by the time Yoongi finds that ‘thing’ he would only be the only one to discover the treasure hiding beyond the trees and vengefully besieged it. And Father and Mother would be so proud of him. And the world too... And himself.

***

It was two weeks after the incident when the bodies were found behind the woods. The precious body was nothing more than just shiny bones on the earth's lips. Worthless little stones on the nest. The shocking news broke into the town, leaving the people in dread. 

"I'm sure it was the wolves again. Those ruthless beasts never die. And they're starting to spread chaos again," Mr. Min said valiantly, like no other thing in the world could persuade him to let go of the thought. The young man could hear the grudge seeping into his tone like a horrible squeak of a rusty bike.

Yoongi's eyelid quivered. He shifts his thoughts into something but the reminisce of that very day. Resisting the tiny spark building inside him, knowing in certain he would bolt into a panic.

"N-no, it was not the wolves. I think it was the raccoons," Yoongi defended. Father gave him a look as if he just pulled the stupidest string of words from his mouth.

"How could a raccoon eat a whole human and leave only bones behind? That's preposterous!"

"I don't know, they just do. Maybe it was a zombie raccoon..." Yoongi said hesitantly, aware of the fact he was saying nonsense. What on earth is a zombie raccoon anyway? Yoongi knew no such thing exist such as that. It was silly, and knew on a deeper level was somehow true.

***

He was locked up in his room. Not because Father forbids him to come out, but simply only because he enjoyed the time alone. Free from the suffocating thoughts of always hugging danger.

After how many years of disliking books, Yoongi was reading one right now. And this time, he was reading it for real.

‘Bridge To Terabithia’