On the Wall Again

Bell awoke in his bedroom in Hearthstone manor, near-full moonlight was shining through his bedroom window. He knew he wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, his mind had immediately begun to race, his heart rate was elevated, he was both nervous and extremely excited to meet the one he adored. Hestia's revelation to him about his skill, weighed on his mind. It had brought a whole other level of appreciation for Ais.

They had barely seen each other, and they did not have time to talk after Hestia had broken the charm the previous night. Rough, early preparations were quickly made for the war game, including Ais's offer to train Bell which he gladly accepted. He was to meet her at sunrise, but he awoke two hours early.

Rather than lay in bed, Bell adorned his armor, prepped his gear, grabbed something to eat, and set off into the crisp, fall air, making haste to that spot on the northwestern section of Orario's outer wall.

Bell arrived at the base of the staircase of the wall, he began his ascent.

I will probably have at least an hour or more before Ais arrives, I will just wait or maybe train on my own before she comes.

Bell emerged from the staircase, and to his great shock, Ais was already there. His stomach did several somersaults. She hadn't noticed him yet, she was deep in thought. Her sword, Desperate, was propped against the parapet. Apparently, she had the same idea as Bell but something or someone had distracted her.

Bell approached her and she immediately stood up, her eyes immediately began to widen.

"Miss Ais...you're here early."

"I...umm...I thought I would wake up early and get some practice in before our training."

Bell briefly glanced down at her beloved sword that had been sitting against the parapet since she had arrived at the wall. Bell, of course, didn't know if she had just been taking a break.

Ais noticed Bell's gaze fall upon Desperate and she felt embarrassed. She turned her eyes slightly down and she began fidgeting, twisting her long golden hair that was draped over her shoulder, near her breast.

She is always so adorable when she gets embarrassed.

Ais hadn't noticed that Bell's face had begun to turn red, red enough to even be noticed in the moonlight and the light of a magic stone lamp she had brought with her.

Ais, who had never been that great with words, after feeling a twinge of guilt, decided to tell the truth, but perhaps inadvertently the whole truth.

"Well...actually I couldn't sleep because...I...umm...was thinking about you and everything that happened to you so I came here to wait for you instead and...maybe train a bit by myself in the meantime."

Bell began to feel a potent combination of joy, elation, relief, and gratitude because the one who he adored most, was here with him, remembered him fully, and was thinking about him. It was a dream come true given he had just endured a torturous two weeks of mental and emotional manipulation.

Ais looked directly at Bell, waiting for his response.

Bell, whose face was red, turned beet red from head to toe. His face twitched but then broke into a smile. Emotions began to break through to his face, tears began to well up in his eyes.

Ais asked him the question she always did when she was worried about him in times like these.

"Are...you okay?"

Bell was better than okay, much better than okay. His emotions overcame him and, without thinking, he grabbed Ais into a very tight, but friendly, embrace.