promises

Bev walks in the door, keeping it open for me with her hand.

We both walk in trying to keep as quiet as possible. Dad had to be here the tv is on.

The silence freaks me out. With the silence you can't tell where and when he's going to strike.

As were walking down the hallway the man steps out in front of us. "Hey daddy. "

"Hey, bevvie. Y/n." I've always know he didn't care as much about me as he did bev. It hurt, but I'm also secretly glad he didn't, so I didn't have to indure what Bev does. "Whatcha got there?" He says, referring to the bag in the girls hand.

Bev looks down for a second in what I guess is embarrassment. "Just some things. "

He reaches down, grabbing the bag. "Like what?"

He stares at the box infront of him for a second before looking at me. "Y/n go to your room. "

I try to protest, but he shoves me in the direct of my room.

I turn the corner, hiding behind it. I just pray he doesn't see me.

I watch as the man cradles bevs cheek in his hand. I just wanted to go over there and slap it away, but I couldn't.

He brings her head forward, sniffing her hair. I could've gagged in disgust at that moment. He pulls away, touching her hair.

I couldn't really make out what they were saying form this far away. All I could hear was the words 'little girl.'

He pushes her away by her head with his hand. I turn the corner going to my room. I knew Beverly needed some time to herself.

I lay down on my bed. I just lay there, staring at the ceiling for a couple of minutes.

Looking over at my window I debate sneaking out. Dad would probably not notice.

I grab my jacket, opening the window and climbing out.

Hugging my jacket closer as I feel the cold hair surround me I sprint away from the building.

I had done this many times before to see patrick. Most of the time after dad had hit me.

Walking down the sidewalk I feel my eyes tear up. Was I really gonna cry on the middle of a sidewalk?

I crouch down, sitting with my back on a tree that was near the sidewalk.

I put my knees up to my chest and put my head in my hands.

I gasp for air. It felt like all the breath had been knocked out of me.

I sob into my hands. Why did my life have to be so fucked up? Why did mom have to die?

Usually, I would have patrick to comfort me in times like this, but patrick wasn't here. He never would be and I needed to get used to that.

The thought just made me sob harder.

"Guys! Look at the freak crying!" I hear a voice shout. I knew that voice.

I glance up from my spot noticing a blue trans-am parked in front of me.

Oh. My. God

Standing up from where I sat I freeze In place.

"What're you crying about? About how your dad doesn't love you?" Patrick says, laughing along with the other boys.

Patrick always promised he'd never tell anyone about that. "You promised. "  I say between sobs.

God I really needed to stop crying. Why does things like this happen to me?

"Aw, Patrick say sorry. Shes crying because of you. "

All the guys burst out laughing, while I just stand there. There was nothing I could really do.

Someone behind the boys blow their horn making all of them look back.

The car zooms off. I just watch as the color blue disappears into the distance.

I wrap my jacket around my torso, speed walking back home.

I finally get back to the apartment, climbing back into my window.

Stumbling over to my dead I flop down on it continueing my crying session.