Chapter 6

I spent the entire morning and early afternoon filling out forms and signing documents at the Adventurers' Guild in the Royal Capital.

When I finally finished, I realized I still needed to eat lunch. Since I had nothing better to do, I decided to wander through the city until I found somewhere to eat. Lori had gone out to run some errands for her adventuring party, and we were supposed to meet back at the inn.

"Excuse me miss..." A voice interrupted my thoughts.

A middle-aged Orcish-looking man wearing an official uniform approached me cautiously.. His hair was graying but cut neatly short and parted down the center. He wore a crisp white shirt under a brown leather vest over a blue tunic, which seemed quite fashionable compared to the raggedy outfits worn by most civilians. Despite looking quite old for a soldier, his physique remained strong.

He was tall enough that I needed to crane my neck to meet his gaze. After a few moments, he spoke again. "...are you Miss Alice?"

"Yup." I nodded politely. "What do you want?"

His eyes narrowed suspiciously but widened in surprise when he saw my Rank C insignia. "Oh! Congratulations on formalizing Rank C!"

"Yeah." I shrugged indifferently.

"I hope you won't mind answering a few questions," he began hesitantly. "First, may I ask where you hail from?"

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ahh! Oh dear." He took a deep breath and straightened his spine. "I apologize. Of course I meant 'where are you currently living'. Please forgive my rudeness."

I chuckled lightly. I thought about it for a minute, but suddenly I remembered the signs I'd passed. "I umn, live in Halton, one of the capital's large suburban towns?"

"Halton!" He exclaimed delightedly. "Do you know Lord Garth Duskswain? He used to be the leader of our local branch of the Adventurer's Guild."

Garth Duskywind?

I shook my head. I knew next to nothing about this world or my body's existing relationships.

"I see." He frowned slightly. "In that case, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Colonel Garenna Rufus, commander of the Royal Army garrison stationed in the Royal Capital. May I have a moment of your time?"

"Sure," I agreed noncommittally.

We briefly discussed my background, how long I'd lived in Halton, and whether or not I had any family members who were still alive back home. Then he asked if I wanted to join the military.

"Huh?" I blinked. "Why would I do that?"

Colonel Rufus smiled apologetically. "My apologies for asking such a bold question, but I assure you that joining the army as a commissioned adventurer will greatly improve your standing among the locals. You'll gain access to many privileges and benefits unavailable elsewhere."

"Like what?" I tilted my head curiously.

"For instance..." He glanced around furtively as though someone might overhear us. "If you choose to serve in the military, your rank and status will automatically increase to match that of an officer. If you are willing to become a soldier, you will receive additional pay and training to prepare you for combat against the looming Demon Invasion threat. In addition, you will be provided with housing, food, clothing, medical care, and even a stipend for travel expenses. On top of these perks, you will also earn respect from everyone else in society."

Wait, wait, wait, hold up, Demonic invasion threat? What is going on? Is there a demon invasion going on in this world? Lori mentioned something about a Demon Lord, but...