Chapter 9

"Malfoy, can I tell you a secret?" Hermione spoke as she picked at her bowl of pasta.

Draco looked up from his steak and mashed potatoes, "What is it?"

Hermione looked up at the man, he was attractively dressed in a black suit with a bow tie and his hair styled back. The surrounding fairy lights casted an almost silver glow around his blonde hair.

She cleared her throat, "Don't let this get to your head alright?"

A smirk fell onto Draco's face, but he remained silent, watching the beautiful woman in a red cocktail dress muster up the courage to confess whatever was on her mind. He had to admit, she looked stunning having tamed her curls over the years, and especially tonight with her brown eyes sparkling under the lights.

"You know how I was first in class for everything, and passed all my N.E.W.T.S. with owls?" Hermione gave a small smile.

"Yes, and all of Wizarding England knew too." He smirked while sipping on his glass of Chardonnay.

Hermione gave a small laugh while blushing, "Well...you were secretly one of the reasons why I did my best in school."

His eyes widened and he placed his glass down, suddenly leaning forward as a smirk Slytherin to his face, "Go on..."

She rolled her eyes, smiling as she shook her head, "It wasn't anything like that, it just made me extra happy knowing you were second best to a muggle-born."

Draco nodded, "Touché I was quite a douche."

She grinned at his little pun, "Nice."

He cleared his throat, "Alright, I guess I'll also confess a secret...tit for tat. Let me think...Hmm..."

Hermione smiled as she began eating her pasta again, surprised she was enjoying the date so far.

She quickly looked back up at him as he let out a little noise of eureka, "Alright, remember when you were petrified after seeing the basilisk in the mirror at the library?"

Her eyebrows furrowed, "Yes...why?"

"I was the one that placed the crumbled up ball of paper that contained information on the Basilisk in your hand...I figured it would help you and your friends figure out the mystery of Slytherin's secret chamber." He spoke before taking another bite of his steak.

Her eyes widened, "That was you? All this time...I couldn't recall what happened during the time I was petrified, but I knew I hadn't ripped out any part of a book. The thought alone of doing such a sacrilegious thing still unnerves me!"

He chuckled as he continued eating. She paused, continuing to look at him curiously, "Why did you do that? I thought you hated me and all I stood for?"

Draco shrugged, "I may have been a little git at that time...but I guess a small part of me was amused by your group. Whatever reckless acts or adventures you'd all get yourselves into...I suppose I wanted to be a part of your story in some way...I'm sorry I ended up being an antagonist."

Hermione gave him a small smile, "Well in this chapter of our lives, you certainly became an anti-hero...maybe even a protagonist."

They both chuckled as they continued eating their food in the comfort of each other's presence.

•••
•••
•••

"I still can't believe we let a 6 year old set us up on a date." Hermione laughed after having finished her glass of wine and pasta bowl. The man quickly sent the plates inside the house to wash & dry themselves.