Chapter 10

"Thank you for shopping at Granger's Books Imporium, please come again!" Hermione smiled brightly as the last customer for the day exited the book store. As December grew closer, the shop was gaining more and more traction from early Christmas-gift buyers.

Some days, Draco would drop by during his lunch breaks from his sports restobar or after having picked up Scorpius from school, and he would man the cash register while Hermione would help out customers search for specific books, or reorganize misplaced novels.

It warmed her heart every time he'd do something she wouldn't ask him to do, had it been anyone else it would have annoyed her, but there was something about him that made her feel at ease to let him handle things on her behalf.

Scorpius on the other hand, was quite the salesman. He made it his job to ensure any customer that came into the bookstore, while he was there, would definitely buy a book.

The boy grinned as he counted the fingers on his hand. Hermione gave him a curious look, "Now what are you up to, sweetie?"

His wide grey orbs met her warm brown ones, "Counting all the successful sales I've done today."

She chuckled and patted his head, "Thank you, I would've never gotten such high numbers without you."

He waved his hand nonchalantly, "Just let me read all the books here for free as my payment."

"You got yourself a deal young man!" Hermione grinned and shook his hand with a glimmer of pride in her eyes. She may not be his biological mother, but she definitely could've passed for it considering how many stacks of books he'd go through after a few days.

"Oh come on son, haven't I taught you better than that?" Draco peeked his eyes over his own book, having decided to read on a nearby loveseat, "You should've also asked her to order all the books you wanted to read, as she still doesn't have them in stock yet."

Scorpius paused for a moment, processing what his father just said. His jaw dropped in shock of his missed opportunity, and then went to go sulk in a corner behind the cashier's desk.

Hermione laughed, "Scorpius come out from under there! Don't you worry your handsome little head, I've already pre-ordered some GooseBumps and Geronimo Stilton books for you in advance. I know you were curious about American children's books."

The boy's head popped up from behind the desk, a large grin planted on his face, "Wow! Thanks Mum 'Mione!"

The woman blushed as she hasn't gotten used to her new nickname from him. After she and Draco had sat the boy down to discuss the prospect of the adults dating, Scorpius insisted on calling her 'Mum 'Mione' despite their unsuccessful attempts to tell him that if it doesn't work out, they'll only remain friends.

Draco sighed, "It's Miss Hermione, son. The wedding bells are not ringing any time soon, people should take time to get to know one another, and learn to love each other over time before that happens."

Scorpius gave his father a pointed look, "You've known each other since you were 11. You're both old now, you've had plenty of time to get to know each other and fall in love."

"That—it's not as simple as that! And I'm not that old!" Draco spoke defensively, having been caught off guard at his son's words.

"Also, weren't you and mum arranged to be married? You technically didn't fall in love with her before you married her," Scorpius spoke in a bored manner, flipping through a book on the cashier desk.

Draco opened his mouth but closed it once more, unable to think of a proper retort.

Hermione shook her head in amusement, "If I didn't know any better, and if you didn't look like a spitting image of your father, I would've thought you were my own child!"