Chapter One

"Intruder!"

Spottedleaf was startled awake, barely hearing the medicine cat's warning to stay put as she hurried out of the den. The sudden movement made her head hurt, but the pain was the least of her worries.

A dusky brown she-cat, another wounded warrior who had been sent home early from the battle, slid past her. Spottedleaf shuffled out of the den entrance with a murmured apology.

It was still dark. Shadows clung to every corner of the camp, cowering from the white light that filtered through the leaves from the sinking moon. What didn't hide from the moon were her Clanmates. They stood solid in the clearing, backs arched and fur bristling.

A single fearful thought entered her pounding head. Were RiverClan warriors taking the Sunningrocks battle to ThunderClan's camp?

Before them, at the camp entrance, were three cats Spottedleaf recognized: her leader and her clanmate with his apprentice. However, a fourth cat who carried an unfamiliar scent was with them as well. To her relief, the smell wasn't that of RiverClan. His eyes, colored in the sharpest green the she-cat had ever seen, darted from one hostile cat to the next. The air was thick with the young cat's fear scent and his hackles were raised.

"Stand down, ThunderClan." Order Bluestar, blue eyes piercing her warriors.

Only the senior warriors seemed to hear, for the younger remained in their defensive stances while Bluestar strode across the clearing, her party in tow.

As the newcomer stepped into the moonlight, Spottedleaf got a better look at him. His pelt was a striking shade of ginger and scored with darker stripes. His belly was pale, and plump, a noticeable contrast from the muscles that rippled underneath his neatly groomed coat.

Cats began to murmur amongst themselves.

"Where is he from?"

"Does he belong to a Clan?"

"He does not carry the scent of any Clan I know!"

By now, Bluestar had bounded onto Highrock, and silenced the gathered crowd with a yowl. "Cats of ThunderClan, we need more warriors," she began. "We have fewer apprentices than usual this season. It has been decided that we will welcome an outsider into our ranks and train him to become a warrior..."

Indignant muttering washed over the group, but Bluestar raised her tail for silence and the voices died down. "I have found a cat who is willing to become a ThunderClan apprentice."

"He wears a collar! He is a kittypet! A twoleg toy!" Caterwauled a pale brown tabby, now on his paws and glaring at the leader in defiance. Spottedleaf had noticed it earlier. A blue band of unfamiliar material, adorned with a silver tag and golden bell, hugged the newcomer's neck. "We do not need another one of them in ThunderClan! We need ferocious wildborn warriors to fight for us, not another waste of space and prey!"

"Enough!" Bluestar's thunderous caterwaul rang out clear across the camp. The leader addressed Longtail. "You can make decisions for ThunderClan once you are leader. But, as long as I still have breath in my lungs, I will decide."

Longtail began to stalk off with his head low when he was halted by the yowl of an old gray tom at the clearing's edge.

"Smallear senses trouble!" A fluffy gray apprentice announced.

A young cat burst from the bushes and stumbled into camp. He was skinny and — apart from the white tip of his long, thin tail and white flash on his chest-black from ear-tip to toe.

A gasp sounded from the crowd. It was the gray apprentice again. "It's Ravenpaw! Why has he returned alone? Where is the rest of the battle party?"

Ravenpaw staggered as he crossed the clearing, panting heavily. His coat was ruffled and covered in dust, and his green eyes were round with fear. Several cats broke off from the crowd and dashed to greet the new arrival.

Bluestar stepped forward. "What has happened, Ravenpaw?" The she-cat's tone was even and calm, but worry clouded her blue eyes. "Ravenpaw! Speak!"

Still struggling for breath and sides heaving fitfully, Ravenpaw managed to claw his way up Highrock to stand beside Bluestar. He took a moment to gather his breath before declaring, "Redtail is dead!"