Chapter Nineteen

Spottedleaf peered into the apprentices' den, shocked to see Firepaw leap to his paws. He looked instantly alert and horrified with his fur standing on end.

"Something the matter, Firepaw?" Spottedleaf asked.

"Nothing but a dream." Mumbled Firepaw.

Spottedleaf gave him a curious and concerned look. "Wake Leopardpaw, Antlerpaw, Birdpaw, and Bloompaw, please. They will meet up with Tigerclaw and leave shortly."

The sky glowed with the breaking of dawn, and dew sparkled on ferns as Spottedleaf backed out of the den. It promised to be a warm day once the sun was up, but the dampness of the early-morning reminded the tortoiseshell that leaf-fall was not far off.

Leopardpaw, Antlerpaw, Birdpaw, and Bloompaw quickly gulped down the herbs given by Mossfall once they were in the clearing. Tigerclaw and Bluestar were ready to leave and now sat watching them. Most of the other cats were still asleep.

Spottedleaf felt a purr blossom in her throat as the warm scent of her mate encircled her. She pressed herself against his shorter frame when he appeared at her side. She had stirred him so they could see their kits off together.

"Ugh!" Leopardpaw complained. "I expected them to taste bitter, but I underestimated them."

"Those herbs will keep you from feeling your hunger." Bluestar answered. "And they will strengthen you. We have a long trek ahead."

"Have you already eaten yours?" Birdpaw asked.

"I cannot eat, for I will be sharing dreams with StarClan tonight." Bluestar replied.

"Come here, you four." Spottedleaf called, purring loudly as her kits bounded over to her and Tinyice. She pulled Breezepaw closer with a sweep of her tail and began to smooth down the fur between his ears with her tongue while her mate washed Bloompaw.

"Mama, you're messing up my fur!" Antlerpaw fussed, his sister echoing a similar exclamation.

Tigerclaw showed his teeth. "Hurry up! We do not have all day."

Spottedleaf paused to meow, "You four better be careful out there. Stick together, and listen to Bluestar. Be respectful of your surroundings, especially on WindClan territory..."

The littermates withered away from their parents when Tigerclaw growled with an impatient lash of his tail.

"Bye, papa!"

"Take care, papa!"

"Love you, mama!"

"We'll be back before you know it, mama!"

Leopardpaw, Antlerpaw, Birdpaw, and Bloompaw called their farewells as the six cats made their way out of camp through the gorse tunnel.

Lionheart was just returning with the dawn patrol. "Have a safe journey." He meowed.

"I know I can trust you to keep the camp and the cats within it safe." Bluestar answered.

Spottedleaf nervously flicked her tail as the pawsteps of departing cats faded.

"They'll be fine, my love." Tinyice gently reassured the she-cat, brushing his nose against her cheek.