Chapter Thirty

Spottedleaf and Firepaw sprinted after the hunting party, around brambles, through nettles, and past gorse. The trail wasn't hard to follow, for the angry group of ThunderClan cats weren’t trying to disguise their presence in ShadowClan territory. 

The thick layer of cloud had finally drifted off overhead. Silverpelt glittered across the night sky beyond the treetops. The cold light of the rising moon couldn't pierce the mist that clung to the shadowy undergrowth. 

Spottedleaf concentrated on the scent from ahead. She could smell Willowpelt and Tinyice. She sniffed again. Tigerclaw wasn’t among the patrol. She raced to catch up, skidding to a halt behind the band of ThunderClan cats. 

The warriors turned to glare at her and Firepaw, fur bristling, ears aggressively flattened. Whitestorm was at the head, accompanied by Dustpaw and Graypaw. Tinyice and Willowpelt brought up the rear.

"Spottedleaf! Firepaw!" Dustpaw growled. "Why are you here? Tigerclaw said you and three apprentices went out for herbs."

The pair gasped for breath. "It was a lie!" Spottedleaf panted. "Bluestar sent Firepaw and I to find Yellowfang before—"

"Ah!" Whitestorm interrupted her. "Bluestar spoke of finding a friendly face out here. I now understand what she meant." He thoughtfully looked at Spottedleaf. 

"Is Tigerclaw around?" Asked Firepaw. 

Whitestorm gave them a curious look. "Bluestar convinced him to stay at camp and protect the remaining kits."

Dustpaw took a step forward. "But Tigerclaw did mention that Sandpaw and Ravenpaw were with you." The dark tabby meowed. "Where are they?"

"Sandpaw is waiting for us, but we need your help, Whitestorm. We can lead you to the kits; we have planned to rescue them tonight. Are you in?" Spottedleaf meowed urgently. 

The warriors flicked their tails in excitement. "Of course we're in!"

"Ravenpaw!" Spat Dustpaw. "Where is he?"

Spottedleaf was confused by the young tom's ferocity. Despite being littermates, Dustpaw had never been close with Ravenpaw. In fact, he actively avoided him whenever he could. 

Firepaw spoke first, voice surprisingly heavy. "Ravenpaw is dead."

Shock and grief washed over the ThunderClan patrol. Spottedleaf glanced at Dustpaw. His face was dark, amber eyes hard and unreadable. 

"How?" He asked. 

"He slipped while crossing the stream and drowned. We couldn't recover his body. I'm sorry." Spottedleaf answered quickly with a single breath. 

Dustpaw scoffed with a flex of his claws. "Leave it to Ravenpaw to die such a mouse-brained death. I never expected him to die a warrior's death."

Whitestorm solemnly dipped his head. "Ravenpaw was a ThunderClan apprentice nonetheless and a fine warrior in the making. We shall hold a vigil for him later. Right now, we need to focus on retrieving our young." He meowed. 

"It'll mean a raid of ShadowClan’s camp." Spottedleaf warned. 

"Can you take us there?" Graypaw asked eagerly.