Chapter Twenty

It was just past sunhigh by the time the training drew to an end. The apprentices were out of breath, and dust lightened their ruffled pelts.

Spottedleaf was impressed by the knowledge of fighting techniques that both cats had already accumulated. They both knew the perfect attack to use for their opponent's given position, how to predict an attack, and how to counter most techniques.

Firepaw stood across from Sandpaw, chest heaving and eyes screwed up against the sand the she-cat had swatted into his face during their last match. It was clear that he was in pain and unable to properly see. There was no need for the young cats to continue sparing.

"Come, Firepaw. Let's see what Mossfall can do about your eyes." And your dream. Spottedleaf added silently as she padded over to her apprentice, laying her tail over Firepaw's shoulders and leading him out of the hollow into the forest. Behind her, she heard Whitestorm scolding Sandpaw for fighting dirty.

"Is Sandpaw in trouble?" Firepaw asked once they were out of earshot of both cats. He was looking up at her through narrow, crusted, and red-rimmed eyes. Just the sight had water rising in Spottedleaf's own eyes.

"Yes." Meowed Spottedleaf, blinking. "What she did was not fair or honorable."

Firepaw's fur rose. "It was an accident!"

Spottedleaf knew that wasn't true. Sandpaw had purposely kicked dust into Firepaw's face when he slipped on the loose sand. She knew the pale ginger she-cat resented the former kittypet, but Spottedleaf hadn't expected her stoop so low. She tried to blind him when he was down.

Spottedleaf entered camp and guided Firepaw to Mossfall's den, helping him get settled in a nest. She explained the situation, and the medicine cat immediately set to work. Mossfall gathered a wad of moss and wet it with water from the pool, then instructed Firepaw to tilt his head up and squeezed the water into his eyes. The tom's cheeks grew damp as he rapidly blinked his eyes.

"Clean your paws in the pool, then wash your face as you normally would." Mossfall directed Firepaw after discarding the ball of moss. She turned to Spottedleaf. "He should be able to return to his duties by tomorrow, but I want you to bring him by before he retires to his nest tonight. If all the sand is not removed, it could irritate his eyes to the point of blindness."

"Thank you, Mossfall." Spottedleaf meowed with a dip of her head. "There is something else I wish to discuss-"

She paused at the sound of approaching pawsteps, turning to see Whitestorm leading a sour Sandpaw into the den. "Apologize." Growled the large warrior.

Sandpaw flattened her ears and lowered her gaze. "I'm sorry, Firepaw. What I did was wrong and it won't happen again." She growled, sounding far from apologetic.

Whitestorm didn't seem to have an energy to argue further with his apprentice for he meowed, "If Firepaw is having any problems performing his duties because of the injuries he sustained today, Sandpaw will be more than willing to assist him."

The purr rumbling in Firepaw's throat portrayed his awkwardness. "Thank you, Whitestorm, but I won't be needing assistance from any cat. And, Sandpaw, I accept your apology. I know it was an accident."

With her apology accepted, Sandpaw turned and stalked out of the fern tunnel. Whitestorm huffed, shaking his head before leaving as well.

"What is it you wanted to discuss, Spottedleaf?" Asked Mossfall.

Spottedleaf described Firepaw's dream to Mossfall, being corrected by the apprentice whenever she missed a detail. "What do you think?" She asked when she finished. "I think it's a prophetic dream. From StarClan maybe?"

It was impossible to read Mossfall as she checked her herb storage. She always remained blank-faced and calm when performing her duties. "I agree with your theory. It certainly appears to be a prophecy of sorts; a foreshadowing of future events."

Spottedleaf shuddered. "How soon into the future will these events occur?"

"It's hard to tell." Mossfall mewed. "It may be very soon. That bright ball of light young Firepaw mentioned? It reminds me of the Moonstone. Only it can give off such a blinding light in pitch darkness. The vision of fleeing cats he witnessed afterwards suggests trouble is coming to the Moonstone."

"Trouble at the Moonstone? My kits are at the Moonstone!" Spottedleaf yowled. Her head swam with the possible dangers that her kits could face, and she sunk her claws into the earth to steady herself. They would have to trek through WindClan territory, which was more than likely swarming with ShadowClan warriors who had driven the moor cats from their land. Then there was a thunderpath that needed crossing, and rogues and dogs beyond.

Firepaw piped up. "What about Graypaw yowling? Graypaw must have witnessed something horrific to howl like that, but he is not at the Moonstone."

Mossfall halted her work and glanced at the tom. "You do have quite the point there, young Firepaw. Graypaw is at camp. Perhaps danger is coming from the Moonstone to the camp." She mewed.

"Any ideas on what this danger could be?" Spottedleaf asked while she nervously worked her paws, shredding a nearby moss nest.

"What group of cats have great, dark warriors, like Firepaw's dream foretold of?"

"ShadowClan."