Chapter Twenty Eight

“Yellowfang has taken my kits and tried to kill Runningwind!” Frostfur screeched. The other queen rushed to the white cat’s side, trying to calm her with licks and caresses, but Frostfur pushed them away to wail her grief to the darkening sky. As if in response, the sky rumbled ominously and a cold wind tugged at the cats’ fur.

“Yellowfang!” Hissed Darkstripe. “I knew she was a traitor. Now it makes sense how she managed to fight off ShadowClan’s deputy. It was a setup to trick her way into our ranks. She must have aided in Mossfall’s murder as well; to secure her spot as a needed member of ThunderClan!”

Lightning crackled overhead, punctuating Darkstripe’s words with a glaring flash of white. A clap of thunder rolled through the woods.

Spottedleaf couldn’t believe what she was hearing, and her mind whirled. Could Yellowfang really be responsible for such crimes?

Above the murmurings of shock, Longtail loudly meowed, “Bluestar! What do you think?”

Spottedleaf didn't stick around to hear the leader's answer, sprinting toward the medicine den. With Yellowfang missing, Runningwind was surely on his way to StarClan. I can't let that happen. Runningwind was attacked for a reason. Perhaps he knows who stole Frostfur's kits.

She entered the fern tunnel that led to Yellowfang's den. It was extremely dark under the ferns. The storm clouds had blotted out the morning sun, and it appeared as if night had fallen. Rain fell down in heavy sheets, noisily spattering against the leaves, but it was sheltered in Yellowfang's clearing.

Three pairs of eyes flashed at Spottedleaf as she padded in. Runningwind, still unconscious, had been laid in a moss nest and Mousefur sat crouched beside him, grooming his cheek while Tigerclaw stood nearby. Mistyflower's gaze was bright with horror and surprise.

Sorrelshine had not even stirred.

"He's going to die, isn't he?" Came Mousefur's quiet mew, hoarse with grief.

Spottedleaf shook her head. "Not if I can help it."

"You're not a medicine cat." Tigerclaw growled as Spottedleaf headed deeper toward the herb storage.

The tortoiseshell pulled out a bundle of cobwebs and trotted back to Runningwind. "Featherwhisker taught me enough." Spottedleaf mewed before dipping her head and lapping at the tom's wound. She had little faith in her words, wondering if lying in the medicine den for four moons with a broken leg was enough to learn life-saving medicine. It hadn't been her duty to learn the names and uses of the herbs, but she had helped Featherwhisker organize his storage, and picked up a few things.

Spottedleaf cringed at the iron tang of blood on her tongue, but continued nonetheless. When she was confident that the injury was clean, she applied the cobwebs to stop the bleeding.

She then rounded back to the shelves of medicine. Her mind raced with so many emotions she couldn't see or think straight. Focus, Spottedleaf. Runningwind's life, and possibly the lives of Frostfur's kits, rest in your paws. You can't afford to waste time worrying.

Taking a deep breath, Spottedleaf closed her eyes. Her head felt clearer when they opened. Goldenrod is good for healing wounds and marigold can help stop infection. The knowledge came like second nature to her. She carefully selected the herbs, chewing them into a poultice before slathering it onto Runningwind's bite. Then she put catchweed into his pelt to hold the poultice in place.