Chapter Eighteen

Mallory

After Brent assaulted me in the alleyway, I ignored him for a week. He opened my eyes to the violence that was externally manifesting in our relationship. He was the problem. He'd blindsided me for long enough. While my clarity would most likely last a week at most, I was determined to free myself from my boyfriend's vice.

Meanwhile, I tried to distance myself from Reid. I was scared of how much he cared about me in such a short time.Barely a few days into our friendship, he was texting me every day to check on me. Ask how I was doing. I replied as succinctly as I could. It was only a week since I met Reid, but he was already so caring.

Yesterday, I realised that my guilt didn't matter. I liked Reid, even if we were just going to be friends. I was doing nothing wrong.

So I texted Reid, asked him if he wanted to get a coffee. Reid said yes, and that he was happy I'd asked him. Reid's complete transparency with his emotions wasn't familiar to me. He bore his heart open to whoever wanted it. Reid was unusual, in a busy city like ours where people needed to be selfish to extricate what they wanted from their lives. He gave without anyone asking him to.

I waited anxiously in the coffee shop, staring at the bright sunshine outside. Sunny weather always made me feel better.

"Hey."

I looked up at Reid, unable to stop my smile as he drew out his chair. There was a matching broad grin on his own face. "Hi. It's been a while." I offered.

"Too long a while." Reid joked, stretching out his long legs. He nudged the blocky heel of my sandal with his sneaker, and I laughed at him. He chuckled, pushing his hair back with his hand. "How are you? What's been going on in your life?"

I inhaled shakily and clasped my hands together, wondering how to frame my problems to Reid. "A lot. Most of it bad."

"You can tell me." Reid said, looking at me with concern. His brown eyes felt like they were piercing into mine intently. He was unrelenting against my crumbling façades.

I swallowed, unsure of how to put it to him. "You know how I was dating Brent?"

"Of course." Was I imagining the bitter edge to his voice?

"I think we're going to break up." I said. My voice came out much smaller and quieter than I anticipated. 

Reid straightened in his chair, his expression sobering. "I didn't know."

I covered up the hurt with another laugh, lowering my eyes to cover up the tears filming my eyes. "Yeah, it's not something I've been advertising. But I felt like you should know." I looked up at him again, and he looked worried for me. He was too sweet for this world. "You've been so kind to me, Reid. I have Cleo and Kennedy for support, but you've unknowingly been my rock through this. I don't know how to thank you."

"Just because I was thinking of you?" Reid said comfortingly. "Mallory, don't be silly. You're my friend." I tried to ignore the pang in my heart as Reid affirmed my worst thoughts. "You always will be."

He leaned closer, asking me a question with his eyes. I nodded, and he moved closer, cautiously cupping my cheek in his hand. He stroked his thumb along the line of my cheekbone soothingly. It took me all my strength to not put my hand over his.

I breathed in and closed my eyes, savoring the feeling of Reid's presence. He was warm and comforting, and safe. "I really appreciate you, Reid. Thanks."

"You never have to thank me for anything, Mallory." I heard him say. His hand withdrew from my cheek, and I missed it.

I opened my eyes, and I caught the hint of vulnerability in his own eyes. A tiny, hopeful smile hinted at my mouth, and I thought I saw it in Reid, too. He was too good to be true. I only wish I knew how right I was.