Chapter Sixteen

Mallory

years ago, senior year of high school

"He can't take his eyes off you." Cleo shouted in my ear. She was barely audible because of the frenzy of music, fresnel lights and dancing. That night, we dropped by a random senior house party to let off steam after a gruelling week of midterms. 

The owners were definitely rich, because the main event was in a huge room with a bunch of tables set up. We were sitting in the middle of the room, and there was a dance floor on the opposite side of the room, complete with an open bar.

"Who?" Kennedy, my other best friend from high school asked, peering around Cleo's back. Her dress was explosively pretty, neon-lime colored and tiny like her.

Cleo frowned at her. "Look behind me, but not conspicuously. He's still looking."

Kennedy did as Cleo said, and her kohl-lined eyes widened. "Damn, he's fine. Like fine. Attractive as hell-"

"We don't need the synonyms, Kenny." Cleo said, then she turned to me, raising her eyebrows. "What do you think, Mallory?"

"I know he is." I told them, trying to sound casual. I'd already noticed the boy, even before Cleo pointed him out. He was sitting at a table in the corner with his friends. His eyes were pretty, brown and sharp with intelligence. They drew in at the outer corners when he smiled. His hair was messy, a little darker than those brown eyes, and his tanned skin. 

At first, I thought he was looking over at Cleo, because she was gorgeous. Cleo knew how to make her features look good, and she had the beautiful sort of energy that people looked for, being sassy and always dressed to the nines. Or Kennedy, who was equally plausible. People tended to have crushes on her, because of her beautifully low voice and sultry eyes. That was before they realised that the girl was absolutely crazy, but I loved her for it.

After I nearly caught this boy's eye, the target of his interest was definitely me. Knowing that someone as good-looking as him was curious about me, definitely boosted my confidence. I knew I was pretty, but there were so many attractive people in the world. Surely I would just be temporary to him, and I didn't want temporary commitments.

But all he did was glance over at me after exchanging a quick conversation with his friends, when they were too busy laughing to notice. Cleo was exaggerating his interest.

But I figured that if he was interested, I might as well give him a show. I glanced down at my wine-red dress, making sure it looked seamlessly perfect still. My heels were sky-high, my lips colored siren red. Perfectly attired to draw people to me. Specifically, this boy who was looking at me.

"I'm going to go dance." I said, smiling and pointing to the crowded floor. Cleo smirked and gave me a thumbs up, as if she knew what I was trying to do.

I walked over, winding my way past the crowd of bodies, drunk off my own confidence. I closed my eyes, feeling the slow beat of the music wash over me. Before I registered it, my hips were swaying and I was fully feeling myself. I blocked out the noise of chatter, picturing myself as the only girl in the room.

At last, I dared to look over to his table. His friends were still there, but he wasn't. I felt stupid because I was dancing to attract some guy, when I came here for myself and to have fun with Cleo. It felt a bit pathetic, to be honest. I blame it on the alcohol whenever it comes up in conversation now. So in a last ditch attempt at preserving my dignity, I went over to the bar to get some drinks for us.

"Hey." a low voice greeted. I turned and my eyes widened. It was him; the beautiful stranger whom I'd lost sight of. I covered my shock with a smile, steeling myself. He was at the bar and he just approached me. Now I had to follow through.