Chapter 2

• • •

Three days later

Xpel's eyes quickly fluttered open with a sharp intake of breath. Bolting forwards only to find her whole body was restrained against her will.

Her eyes quickly darted around the dark, dingy room, illuminated by two bright beamed lights that emitted a high pitch whining noise.

Her eyes locked onto the back of a man's head. Dressed in a scientist's lab coat, he fluttered through documents littering the desk.

"Sir, she's awake", a voice announced from behind Xpel as she attempted to turn against the bounds to see who the voice belonged to.

"Ah, Xpel." the man in the lab coat remarked as he spun around to see his creation staring up at him.

"You gave me quite the fright. I thought I would have to replace you after you failed me, but fortunately, your handler could retrieve you just before that base went up in smoke." The man smirked with a very prominent Russian accent.

Xpel's brows frowned in confusion as she scanned her brain, trying to recall any information about who this man was or what he was talking about.

"I see the reset has worked well," chuckled the 'handler in a sinister tone.

"Hmm, at least one thing has..." he trailed off before turning back to the addled girl and continuing:

"I'll enlighten you, Xpel. You had no family before I found you. I took you in and made you into who you are today. Your powers and training, everything I gave to you. You were to be Hydra's best. Better than any agent and even the Winter Soldier."

She didn't know who this winter soldier was, but she instantly felt gratitude towards the scientist as her empty mind began to create falsified 'memories' of her past.

"Your destiny, child, was to take down the evil and corrupt organisation that is Shield. However, the same organisation attacked your new home, our organisation's base, three days ago, that you were ordered to protect." He paused for a second as his face contorted in... anger?

"You failed us. And so, I need to rethink whether you are capable of ever helping us destroy Shield. You see, I have two options: I cut my losses with you and find a new asset who is capable, or I enhance your abilities further, and make you stronger. What do you say?"

Xpel shakily nodded. She couldn't remember who these people were or anything about her past. Could she trust them?

"I need a full answer asset. They have killed thousands; they won't stop unless you stop them," The scientist added with urgency.

If he was telling the truth, this Shield had killed and destroyed hundreds. They needed to be stopped. It is her destiny, after all.

"I'll do it. I'll take down shield by whatever means necessary."

"Good. Agent, pass me the syringe."

Xpel's eyes widened at the sight of the syringed filled with a blue liquid. However, there was nothing she could do as she squirmed against the tight restraints holding her body firmly down to the bench.