Chapter 8

Tony Stark laid in a hospital bed, his injuries slowly healing thanks to the advanced medical technology at his disposal. He was grateful not to be worse off after his encounter with Xpel, but he couldn't shake the feeling that they had let her slip through their fingers again. As he lay there, deep in thought, the door to his room opened and in walked his fellow Avengers: Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Bucky Barnes, Clint Barton, Wanda Maximoff, Bruce Banner, and Thor.

"Tony, we're glad to see you're awake," Steve said, taking a seat next to the bed.

"Yeah, we were worried about you," Natasha added, her usually stoic expression softened with concern.

"How are you holding up?" Clint asked.

"Still beating if that's what you mean," he joked back, wheezing slightly as he coughed, revealing the pain he was in.

Bucky sighed at the sight, knowing that it could have been Steve. "We need to find her before she hurts anyone else."

"I agree," Clint said. "But how do we even begin to track her down again?"

"Well, if I were her, I'd be thinking of getting on the next plane out of here for a couple of months to lay low. Especially now she's injured one of our team members and knows we're after her..." Natasha pondered, looking sympathetically over at Tony.

"So we wait? Track her to whichever country and then strike when she's least expecting it." Clint plans out aloud as the group nod in agreement.

"But what if we find her, and this happens to another team member?" Wanda asked, her brow furrowed with worry.

"Then we'll have to use more force," Bucky said, his voice cold and determined. "We can't let her roam free any longer. She's a danger to herself and others. And besides, we've wasted enough time and resources on her already." He finished, causing Steve to glance over at him with concern.

The rest of the team exchanged uneasy glances. They didn't like the idea of using force against a teenage girl, even one with dangerous powers like Xpel.

"I don't know, Buck," Steve said, his voice hesitant. "We don't want to hurt her."

Bucky scoffed. "Where's the line? Look what's happened to Stark. She's a liability."

Thor, who had been silent until now, spoke up. "But what if the young lady doesn't want to come in peacefully? What if she fights back?"

"We'll handle it," Bucky said, his jaw set. "We'll all go in together, work as a team and overpower her."

"I've been working on something that might help. It's a sedative that can take down even the most powerful, including those with super soldier serum. We could use that to bring her in without hurting her," Banner said.

"With Tony out of action, I would like to request taking the lead on this mission."

"What one crazy assassin to another?" Tony chuckled with a cough of pain.

"Careful, Stark..." Bucky replied, his voice gruff.

"I agree. It may be good to have her understand you were in the same position," Steve replied, ignoring Bucky and Tony's minor squabble. 

"I agree. You've got some of the best field experience in planning and executing missions in case things turn south with Xpel." Natasha stated, causing the rest of the group to nod in agreement.

• • •

Xpel had been laying low in Fes, Morocco, for a few weeks now. She had managed to blend in with the locals, using her telekinetic powers to help earn some cash. But she had learned to be careful with her abilities, not to draw too much attention to herself, and to use them only when necessary.

Despite the initial difficulties of adapting to a new culture, Xpel had found solace in the hustle and bustle of the city. She had developed a routine and had picked up the Arabic dialect with ease. 

Today was Wednesday, which meant it was market day. Xpel had heard stories of the vibrant souks (market) that lined the narrow streets of Fes and was eager to experience it, enjoying her new sense of normality and life. 

She made her way to the bustling market, taking in the sights and sounds of the crowded market

As she was browsing through the stalls, she suddenly felt a chill run down her spine. She turned to see the Winter Soldier stepping out from the shadows of a nearby shop. Xpel's heart sank at the sight of him. She had hoped that she had lost the Avengers after fleeing New York, but it seemed her luck was down.

Bucky's expression was solemn as he approached her. "I'm here to take you into Shield," he said.

Xpel's mind raced as she tried to come up with a plan. She had no intention of going to Shield, not after years of living like a prisoner. She had to think of a way to escape.

"Yeah, that ain't gon happen," Xpel said, shaking her head. Her voice was calm despite the fear that gripped her. She knew she had to buy time to devise an escape strategy.

Bucky's eyes narrowed as he took a step closer. Xpel felt a surge of energy coursing through her body, ready to defend herself if necessary. But before she could act, a commotion broke out in the crowd.

A group of street performers had started a show nearby, drawing the attention of the shoppers. Xpel saw an opportunity and quickly slipped away into the crowd, making her way through the labyrinthine alleys of the market.

I think I've found my love of writing again... 

Thank you for the support x