Chapter 6

As the Avengers sat around the conference table, Nick Fury entered the room, his expression grim.

"Good morning, Avengers," he began, his voice low and serious. "As you may know, we've been trying to track down a Hydra assailant. The assailant is known as Project Xpel."

The name caught the team's attention, and they exchanged worried glances. They had heard rumours about Xpel - a child of Hydra, trained to extreme measures.

"Xpel has been on our radar for a while now since she went rogue," Fury continued. "She's been hunting down former Hydra agents and eliminating them. We believe she's trying to tie up loose ends and eliminate anyone who could potentially expose her past."

The Avengers listened intently, knowing that Fury wouldn't have called them here unless he had a task for them.

"We need to bring Xpel in," Fury said, his voice firm. "Before she causes any more damage. She's dangerous, and we can't let her continue down this path. She's already taken one innocent life on her rampage, and broken into a Shield facility."

The Avengers nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. They knew that bringing in someone like Xpel wouldn't be easy, but they were determined to do whatever it took to protect innocent lives.

Fury handed out files containing all their information on Xpel, and the team quickly got to work, planning their strategy. They knew that Xpel was a formidable opponent, but they were confident in their abilities to take her down.

"Her name - unknown. Age - unknown...

"Alright, we get we have nothing on her." Tony interrupted as he grew impatient.

"Not quite Stark. Two years ago, we sent you on a raid of a known Hydra base. She was spotted. Or rather spotted by you, Rogers." Fury finished, causing everyone to turn to Steve.

"The girl? I remember... she looked 16...17 maybe?"

"...christ", Bucky muttered as he looked down at his lap, imagining the horrors she may have endured.

Fury nodded. "That's her. We've been trying to track her down ever since, but she's been one step ahead of us at every turn. Until now."

"What's changed?" Natasha asked, her eyes scanning the files in front of her.

"We've received intel that Xpel is currently in New York City," Fury replied. "We don't know what she's planning, but we can't take any chances. We need to apprehend her before she can do any more damage."

• • •

Xpel made her way through the dark alleyways of New York City, her senses heightened as she prepared to hunt down another former Hydra agent. She was in her element, moving stealthily and quietly, her training from Hydra kicking in.

As she turned a corner, she suddenly froze. She had a distinct feeling that she was being watched. She quickly scanned the area, her eyes darting around, searching for any sign of danger. The alley was eerily quiet, with no one in sight. Xpel tried to shake off the feeling and continued on her way.

That's when she saw it, stopping her in her tracks. A slight glisten of light coming from on top of the building. Anyone else would miss such a small detail, but with Xpel's field experience, she knew that small glimmer was from a lens. Binoculars? Snipper sight? Archers sight? It was too far away to know which, but she decided in an instant she wasn't alone.

And she was right. 

Just as she was about to retreat back the way she came, Captain America and Black Widow were blocking her path. 

Xpel tensed up, ready for anything. Her mask concealed the surprised expression on her face.  She hadn't expected to run into the Avengers so soon. She took a step back, ready to fight if necessary. Her mind raced with possibilities. Was this a trap? Or had they genuinely stumbled upon her?

"Stand down, Xpel," Captain America said, his voice steady and firm. "We're here to bring you in."

Xpel didn't respond. Instead, she launched herself at Captain America, her fists flying. The two exchanged blows; their movements lightning-fast as Black Widow joined in, as Xpel found herself fighting two of the world's greatest warriors. She knew her training from Hydra had made her a formidable opponent, and she wasn't going down without a fight.

Despite their skill, Xpel could hold her own with help from her telekinesis. Xpel was quick and agile, her movements fluid and unpredictable. Captain America and Black Widow were forced to work together, each covering the other's blind spots.

As the fight continued, Xpel realised that her opponents were holding back. She wondered why they didn't just use their full strength to overpower her. Was it because they wanted to take her in alive?

Eventually, Xpel gained the upper hand, knocking Captain America and Black Widow backwards as she focused her mind on the dumpster to the side of the alley. Forcing it rapidly at the two superheroes. As soon as she released the dumpster from her grasp, she took off, sprinting through the alleyways, determined to lose the... drone? that was following her through the sky.

Just as Xpel thought she had lost them, she turned another corner, only to find herself face-to-face with a man from her memory The Winter Soldier. She had intel from one of the ex hydra agents that he had been one of the handlers for Project Xpel....For her. And yet she could only remember snippets of her life at Hydra or rather the torture she had endured.

She tensed, preparing to fight yet again, but the soldier didn't move. He raised his hands in a gesture of surrender, but Xpel wasn't taking any chances.

"Xpel, listen to me," he said, his voice gentle. "You don't have to keep running. They can help you."

Xpel took no notice of his message as she looked over the assassin before her. She had heard rumours of the Winter Soldier being captured and turned by Shield... Not so strong after all. All she could remember was that his disappearing led to a lot more 'extreme' measures to be taken with her training.

"You need help... I mean, look at you..." He continued as his face hardened with ... sympathy? He didn't recognise or remember her, and it showed.

"Well, you look like 300 pounds of ugly." She retaliated causing the Winter Soldier to be taken aback, cocking his head to the side,

"Charming." He huffed as he Suddenly, lunged forward, his metal arm extended. Xpel reacted quickly, dodging his attack and launching her own counter-attack. The two fought fiercely, their movements fluid and graceful. Barnes was a skilled fighter, and Xpel had to be at her best to keep up with him as she was shoved to the ground.

Without warning, Xpel threw her hand up, using her powers to release the fire escape ladder from above his head. The Winter Soldier was caught off guard, catching it with his hands above his head, as Xpel took the opportunity to flee.

As she ran, Xpel couldn't help but wonder what had happened to the Winter Soldier she had known and why couldn't he remember her.