Chapter 25

As the moon hung high in the night sky, casting an ethereal glow over the forest, the Avengers found themselves locked in a relentless struggle as they launched their assault on the secluded Hydra base. 

Intel from Shield had revealed the insidious plans of Hydra: the creation of a new super serum. This potential weapon needed to be seized before they have the ability to administrate it on a test subject. Determined to prevent Hydra's nefarious agenda from succeeding, the Avengers had prepared to infiltrate the base and retrieve the vial at all costs.

Amidst the frenzy of combat, Bucky advanced through the compound's hallway. Using his metal arm to deploy devastating blows, rendering Hydra agents momentarily unconscious. 

However, amidst the chaos, Bucky's keen senses detected movement in his peripheral vision, catching his attention.

Turning his gaze, Bucky's eyes fixated on a figure shrouded in Hydra attire, moving with both swiftness and purpose. 

Squinting, he strained to discern the person's identity. There was something vaguely familiar about their posture, a flicker of recognition dancing at the edges of his consciousness.

The hooded figure, undoubtedly a Hydra agent, had successfully acquired the super serum from a secure vault. Sensing Bucky's presence, the agent turned, their eyes meeting for a fleeting moment of silent confrontation. With the vial secured in their grip, the agent sprang into action, sprinting in the opposite direction, determined to avoid the Avengers.

Bucky, fueled by determination, found himself in immediate pursuit. Ignoring the fatigue that threatened to slow him down, he pushed himself to the limits of his physical prowess. Racing through the labyrinthine corridors, he chased after the agent, his unwavering focus fixed solely on retrieving the stolen serum.

Reaching the exit, Bucky spotted the agent vaulting themself over the barrier down into the parking lot.

There was no hesitation on Bucky's part. He knew he had to match their speed if he wanted to stand a chance. Without a second thought, he bolted, his strides eating up the distance between them—the rhythmic pounding of his footsteps echoing in his ears.

A surge of adrenaline coursed through his veins, driving him forward. He watched as the agent leapt onto a sleek black motorcycle, the engine roaring to life in anticipation of a swift escape.

Beneath the canopy of stars, the agent hastily fastened her helmet, concealing her features. Just before she lowered the visor, Bucky's sharp gaze caught a glimpse of her eyes.

It was Xpel.

He was sure of it. A face he recognised instantly, but one she no longer could. To her, he was merely another obstacle in her path.

With the roar of the engine filling the night air, Xpel accelerated, weaving through the car park and pulling out onto the road. 

Bucky's determination, unyielding, pursued her relentlessly on foot as he chased Xpel up the deserted road.

As the gap between them widened, Bucky knew he had to act swiftly to close the distance. His training kicked in, and he swiftly drew his pistol, taking aim at the motorcycle's tires. With unparalleled precision, he squeezed the trigger, and the bullet whizzed through the air, hurtling towards its target.

In a twist of fate, Xpel glanced over her shoulder as an unforeseen force seized the bullet mid-flight. 

A surge of telekinetic power rippled through the air, redirecting the projectile. In a stunning display of control, Bucky's own bullet was sent hurtling back towards him, a direct threat to ending up lodged between his eyes.

Instinctively, he raised his metal arm, the gleaming surface deflecting the hurtling bullet just in the nick of time. 

The metallic limb absorbed the impact, emitting a resounding clang that reverberated through the night sky.

As the echoes of the deflected bullet faded, Bucky lowered his arm, his gaze fixed on Xpel as she disappeared into the distance.

Knowing she was now a pawn in Hydra's twisted game, a sickening wave of guilt washed over him.

The night air felt heavy, suffocating him as he battled with the knowledge of the torture she would be enduring under Hydra's control

A single tear escaped Bucky's eye, tracing a path down his cheek. 

He couldn't change the past, but he could fight for a future where Xpel was free from Hydra's grip. Determined to rescue her, he turned his gaze towards the Avengers, who continued their battle against Hydra within the compound.

I imagine this Hydra base to be like the Hawkins lab from stranger things if that helps you visualise it :)