Chapter Five

"Miss when did this all start?" The Police officer asked, his voice lacking any concern and mannerisms suggesting he couldn't care less.

The cold police station was empty tonight besides a drunken woman slumped on a seat waiting for her partner to be let out after a brawl in the town centre.

"Yesterday" I tapped my fingers on the counter in hopes he would speed this up. 

"Unfortunately miss seen as he hasn't made an attempt to break into your home and hasn't tried to hurt you or even be face to face there isn't much we can do with it only starting yesterday. If he tries to contact you again or he makes an attempt to confront you ring us then. It most likely is a friend trying to scare you because they have a crush on you. Take it as a compliment." The last part he mutters under his breath but I still catch it. 

"Is that all that can be done?" 

He nods his head before swirling his chair around to talk with the other police officer on night duty. Beau grabs my shivering hands and pulls me out clearly just as upset as me. "You are staying at mine tonight" He says opening the car door for me. 

He is usually the calmest person in the room. However right now I can feel a buzzing energy coming off him. He drops his head to the steering wheel. "They don't take anything seriously" He pauses, his mascara smudged on his bottom lashes no longer makes him look sexy and androgynous, he looks exhausted. 

"When I was 18 my mama took me to speak to the police, a lad, about 30, kept beating me up. A typical bigot who couldn't dislike me from a far he felt the need to prove his masculinity to his mates. I never knew whether it was because of my race or my sexuality but I think either was an excuse for him. I made a report but it turned out the guy was the head officers nephew. Nothing happened".

"So how did it end?" I grabbed his hand running my fingers over his red nail polish. 

"He moved out of town... after I set his car on fire and emailed his wife saying he was cheating on her". He awkwardly smiled, driving away. 

Hearing Beau's story made me feel different than I had before coming out tonight.  Despite everything completely against him, he came out victorious. I have only had a sense of freedom for a short time and there is no way I'm letting this pervert stop me from enjoying myself. 

"I just want to go home , I need my own bed". Beau tried to persuade me but eventually gave in. The flat was exactly how I left it, I took of the hoodie and sweatpants I had quickly thrown on and headed straight to bed.

*

It was 12pm when I woke up. I usually try to wake up at ten after work but last night gave me permission to sleep in later. 

I saunter out of bed in my underwear, making a cuppa before having my morning shower, My sofa feels extra soft due to my sleepy state and I could fall back asleep. Looking around I see the mess that has accumulated over the short few days. One by one I pick up bits and bobs. 

An open DVD case on the tv stand, a few random mugs on the kitchen top and a single ribbon on the coffee table. 

The other ribbon appears to have fallen under the sofa but  fearing laying my body against the cold floor I leave it  for when I want to wear it hopefully it is actually there and I haven't lost it. Making use of the single ribbon I tie my hair in a ponytail. 

*
My bare face hits the cold as I walk to the supermarket.  Frost, lines car windows and mothers push prams with bundled up babies. I look over the field adjacent to the road and see a group of horses huddled together for warmth. My arm stretches over the fence towards the sole horse on his own and stroke the gorgeous beast. He pushes up against my hand with gratitude for spreading my warmth.