Time machine

Wednesday morning had arrived, the day that would forever alter Lisa's perception of reality. As her mother dropped her off at school, a steady unease settled in the pit of her stomach. Why had he left her message on read? The question looped relentlessly in her mind, its stagnant presence consuming her every thought. A dormant hurt began to stir within her, mingling with a tiny seed of resentment. Perhaps it was an innocent oversight, a mere accident.

Lisa walked the familiar halls, oblivious to the stares and whispers that followed her every step. Today, she had chosen a gothic style, a deviation from her usual appearance. She knew their gazes were drawn to the stark contrast she presented. Her hair, dried and toned to perfection, was a distinguishing feature that set her apart from the crowd.

As she approached her locker, book in hand, a tap on her shoulder jolted her from her internal musings. She turned, her heart skipping a beat, wondering who could possibly seek her attention in this vast sea of high school hierarchies. Perhaps it was one of those boys who refused to let a pretty girl pass by without acknowledgment. Lisa, despite her own uncertainty, was unaware of just how captivating she truly was.

"Thaddeus?" she uttered in disbelief, shocked to find him standing before her.

"Hey, Lisa," he replied, leaning casually against her locker.

His mesmerizing oceanic eyes bore into hers, causing an involuntary flush to stain her cheeks. She found herself struggling to steady her breath, a nervousness that danced on the precipice of anticipation. Finally, he was acknowledging her existence. These words silently echoed within her, a whispered confirmation of her deepest desires.

"I couldn't help but notice your new look today," he complimented, his gaze sweeping from head to toe.

Her heart raced, pounding against her ribcage with an intensity that belied her composed exterior. If only he knew the seismic impact his words