Chapter 19

Simon was given orders that day to go and question Halcon again. He stood for a moment with his captain, wondering if he should decline. It seemed like an increasingly bad idea to let him near the man. He went anyway, hoping it could help them. They planned to go back out in a week's time, try again, and maybe the falcon would give them something useful.

He sat across the man who looked haggard and asked about the coyotes, the desert road. He asked about the woman over and over again, wearing him down. He stayed seated. Watching the man squirm was satisfying.

"Are you still convinced I'm the threat?" He asked.

"Don't go denouncing your family now." Simon said, folding his hands.

"I would never."

"Then you are still a threat." He shrugged.

"They'll come for me."

Simon raised his eyebrows. "You think so? They've waited an awful long time to show up."

"Keeping me here is a mistake."

Simon got up and walked out. He wouldn't touch the man. Not today. He was pretty well convinced that Halcon thought he knew more than he did. He hadn't told them about the coyotes because he hadn't known. Simon was well inclined to believe that considering the hurt in the man's eyes. That was satisfying, too, but not helpful. He didn't have as much concern about him staying on the base. It was more likely to keep him alive anyway, if his men found out how much he had told them, he would be their next recruitment video.

MJ found him outside that night, like old times. She had been on the base for nearly two months. It felt like nearly nothing. But she approached him easily, and took his cigarette.

"That's a nasty habit." He said to her.

She smiled, not looking at him. "Life is short."

He just watched her. Sometimes, it didn't feel short enough. "I disagree."

She met his eyes. They were still. Silent. She knew they had seen things that she couldn't imagine. "That's not always so bad."

He nodded once, leaning forward to place his elbows on his knees. "That's true. If you've got something to keep you busy."

She knew what he meant. If you've got some purpose. Some peace. She finished the cigarette and snuffed it out herself.

Without speaking, he got up and followed her inside. Without speaking, he took her arm and steered her back down the hall to his room.

The next few nights were the same. They barely spoke. They just filled the same space.

The nightmares were constant, often repeating over and over until they woke him. Sometimes she was cold and incredulous like she had been in the first one, sometimes she was thrashing about and begging him for help. The injuries varied but they were all fatal and caused by his hands. He liked waking with her beside him, to remind him that it wasn't real.

They sat together, no different, the night before he left again.

"It's always so boring when you're gone." She said. He handed her a steaming mug and she momentarily wondered who the fuck she thought she was, sitting in his bed, drinking his tea.

"Boring is good." She watched him sit next to her. She was just a human, same as him. One he could tolerate.

"Mm." She took a sip. "I think you're right." She leaned back against the wall, cupping the drink in both hands. "My parents and I used to drive out to the Hamptons every summer. I always thought the drive was so long, and so boring. I've thought a lot lately about how I would kill to make that drive again."